Not yet taken the plunge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not yet taken the plunge

Not yet taken the plunge

Newbie here, saying hi y'all.

I am rapidly approaching my 70th year and have started doing silly things:

First silly thing: I read the review of the 2018 Goldwing right to the end
    Second: I gave it a lot of thought
    Third: I did a bit of research online, forums etc.
    Fourth: I went to the local dealer.

They had a 2017 GW. I sat on it but did not like the seat/riding position. I am tallish, but long in the thigh (as well as long in the tooth) and found I was a little cramped. The dealer said the 2018 seat was further forward. Hmm, I thought. She also had a 2016 F6B. I sat on that. Much better, although not perfect.

My last motorcycle was an old BSA650 with a large sidecar back in the late '60s.

I have ridden Vespas on and off since 1964. Every one I have bought since 2009 I have had the sculptured seat flattened by a local upholsterer as I like to sit further back.

My current ride is a Vespa GTS 300. It can and does leave Harleys and Yamahas in its dust from the light. Probably due to the CVT transmission and the light weight (350lbs). It will cruise at 70mph and I have done long -ish trips on it.

Am I crazy looking at the F6B?
    Honk if you like peace and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raputtak View Post

They had a 2016 GW. I sat on it but did not like the seat/riding position. I am tallish, but long in the thigh (as well as long in the tooth) and found I was a little cramped. The dealer said the 2018 seat was further forward. Hmm, I thought. She also had a 2016 F6B. I sat on that. Much better, although not perfect.

My last motorcycle was an old BSA650 with a large sidecar back in the late '60s.

I have ridden Vespas on and off since 1964. Every one I have bought since 2009 I have had the sculptured seat flattened by a local upholsterer as I like to sit further back.

My current ride is a Vespa GTS 300. It can and does leave Harleys and Yamahas in its dust from the light. Probably due to the CVT transmission and the light weight (350lbs). It will cruise at 70mph and I have done long -ish trips on it.

Absolutely not. Especially if you can get a good deal on it; since the newly designed 2018's are out.

Life is short.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Is this a troll post ? 70MPH on a Vespa ?

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Downhill ....with a stiff tailwind

Don’t discount Vespas. we have a Frankenstein of a man that rides one to/from work... TOTAL mismatch of man/machine ...but we see him hauling ass on it.

He loves it.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

When people would ask what the V was for on my Victory Vision, I would them them, "VESPA".

To Buy or Not to Buy? That is the Question?

My only suggestion when deciding on a F6B is to get the dealer to move it out of the showroom and into the parking lot then sit it it and maneuver back and forth using just your legs.
    Then get off and push it around using your arms and legs going forward then backwards.
    I love mine but it is a heavy pig to maneuver. The new 2018 does not have reverse unless you buy the full Wing Tourer.
    You just have to remember not to park with your front wheel pointing downhill.
    I got a great deal on a 2016 and have no regrets. The engine alone is worth the price admission.

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    My only suggestion when deciding on a F6B is to get the dealer to move it out of the showroom and into the parking lot then sit it it and maneuver back and forth using just your legs.
    Then get off and push it around using your arms and legs going forward then backwards.
    I love mine but it is a heavy pig to maneuver. The new 2018 does not have reverse unless you buy the full Wing Tourer.
    You just have to remember not to park with your front wheel pointing downhill.
    I got a great deal on a 2016 and have no regrets. The engine alone is worth the price admission.
    +1

I think your absolute biggest concern will be the weight of the bike at slow speeds/while pushing it. Going from a 350 pounder to an 800 pounder is a big change. There are after market seat solutions and peg relocation solutions to give you more stretch, but some are expensive, so factor that into your purchase price.

If you push the bike around the parking lot and have no troubles, and if you don't mind the money for the ergonomic adjustments, then it's an absolutely beautiful machine.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Raputtak View Post

They had a 2017 GW. I sat on it but did not like the seat/riding position. I am tallish, but long in the thigh (as well as long in the tooth) and found I was a little cramped. The dealer said the 2018 seat was further forward. Hmm, I thought. She also had a 2016 F6B. I sat on that. Much better, although not perfect.

No way my friend!!...I have had 3 bikes since I turned 70, now 78, and looking to maybe buy the new 2018 Goldwing Tour..Currently ride a 2013 F6B Deluxe with pipes, custom seat, Baggershield, K&N filter and other accessories...I love my F6B and consider it to one of, if not the best bike I have owned and I have had over 20...I am reading that the new Goldwing Tour is 90 lbs. lighter than the older models and has a much improved seating position which I am waiting to try-out....Looking forward to hearing what you decide and ride on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I might look like a troll but that figure is genuine. My best top speed per the GPS is 75 - 79mph on the level, both ways. These things can MOVE! Plus I can out-dabble a Harley from the light. Remember it is a 300cc lightweight vehicle.

I even kept up with a Yamaha doing 70 all the way to Asheville, NC. There was a 15 mph headwind the whole way. Cut the fuel consumption down from 63 to close to 50!

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Downhill ....with a stiff tailwind

Don’t discount Vespas. we have a Frankenstein of a man that rides one to/from work... TOTAL mismatch of man/machine ...but we see him hauling ass on it.

He loves it.
    I did a ride with the River City Riders once a few years ago. At the lunch stop one chap said, that thing can sure keep up. I said, yeah, I had the brake on all the way so as not to leave y'all behind.