Anybody notice......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody notice......

Anybody notice......

Anybody notice Goldwings for sale on Craigs List in the past few weeks??
    I generally check Craigs List to look at what's for sale, usually a few thousand H-D's and a handful of Goldwings.....
    Today, there's 53 Goldwings for sale in the my area.....

Wonder if the increase has anything to do with the new 2018 models??
    I wouldn't sell anything this time of the year, I'd probably wait until the spring when everyone is ready to buy??

Love to see the sales figures one year from today on how the new Yamaha and BMW sales compare to the new Goldwing.

If you can afford to buy a $27-31,000 motorcycle and you HAVE to be the first in your riding group to have the newest, greatest then taking a $1000 lost to achieve that goal means nothing. I neather have the pockets to buy a new Wing, nor wish to be the trail blazer on a new ground up built motorcycle. I've been around long enough to have seen that even Honda can miss the mark. 1200 Wings stators failing,rear wheel bearing to rim miss fitment, front wheel bearing change between the 84-85 model years. The 84 Wings speedo cable breaking every 10,000 miles, fixed for the 85 model year.The 1985 limited Edition LCD dashes shorting out. First 2 years of the 1800 frame problems. Then as the 1800s racked up some mileage, the failure of some of the ADG. Some people have been waiting a long time for the new Wing and will now hit the GO button. I still remember the 1500 owners clammering for a new bike with a bigger motor. Many sold/ traded in there 1500s for the new 1800 with out ever even sitting on the new 1800 until the day they road out of the dealership. Some were very disappointed. I talked to at least 3 new owners that got rid of the 1800 and bought used 1500s. One actually went back to his dealership to trade back for his old 1500 only to find out it had already been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    If you can afford to buy a $27-31,000 motorcycle and you HAVE to be the first in your riding group to have the newest, greatest then taking a $1000 lost to achieve that goal means nothing. I neather have the pockets to buy a new Wing, nor wish to be the trail blazer on a new ground up built motorcycle. I've been around long enough to have seen that even Honda can miss the mark. 1200 Wings stators failing,rear wheel bearing to rim miss fitment, front wheel bearing change between the 84-85 model years. The 84 Wings speedo cable breaking every 10,000 miles, fixed for the 85 model year.The 1985 limited Edition LCD dashes shorting out. First 2 years of the 1800 frame problems. Then as the 1800s racked up some mileage, the failure of some of the ADG. Some people have been waiting a long time for the new Wing and will now hit the GO button. I still remember the 1500 owners clammering for a new bike with a bigger motor. Many sold/ traded in there 1500s for the new 1800 with out ever even sitting on the new 1800 until the day they road out of the dealership. Some were very disappointed. I talked to at least 3 new owners that got rid of the 1800 and bought used 1500s. One actually went back to his dealership to trade back for his old 1500 only to find out it had already been sold.
    ^^^^ Now that is some wisdom and experience on display.^^^^^

I have done that myself, not on a motorcycle but on other large purchases. No manufacturer can get it exactly right on the first try, particularly with all this tech that is, generally speaking, very new in its own right.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

The problems listed above with past GL models is 20-30 years old, I have faith that Honda has done their homework on this model. Besides, with 8 year unlimited mile warranty I have zero fear with the new model.

Goldwings popping up for sale shows how people are tired of the outgoing model, the new bike is WAY overdue and this proves it.

I agree that waiting for the new generation Goldwing to be in the market for a couple of years before buying one is rather foolish in today's world..Honda has learned a lot since the older models were introduced and I would not hesitate one minute to buy the 2018 version if I were in the market..With a 3 year warranty and option to go a total of 8 years, I am pretty sure Ma Honda is confident this new bike is a "go".!!!

My understanding of the 1800s early frame problems was that it didn't show up on the test bikes. The problem started when some one in the frame production part decided that they could make more frames if the speeded up the robots. To do that they turned up the amps (heat) to run faster. That extra heat was outside of the metal suppliers welding spec's.

As with any new product; sometimes flaws are not apparent until they have been used for awhile.

Save yourselves some grief and aggravation. Let others be the field be the unknowing beta testers for a year or two.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2018 . If it were economically feasible , I'd already have a deposit on one.
    Oh, I could do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    As with any new product; sometimes flaws are not apparent until they have been used for awhile.

Save yourselves some grief and aggravation. Let others be the field be the unknowing beta testers for a year or two.
    Been there, done that, paid the price and the down time. Will let someone else be the eager guinea pigs this time as well as give the aftermarket some time to catch up.

I am interested in how they will continue to offer 10 year free map upgrades over the lifetime of the bike. If the bike has a 10 year run, that means they will have to offer map upgrades for 10 years after that for the last production year. I have yet to find a GPS manufacturer that supplies map upgrades 10 years after the product has been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    Been there, done that, paid the price and the down time. Will let someone else be the eager guinea pigs this time as well as give the aftermarket some time to catch up.

I am interested in how they will continue to offer 10 year free map upgrades over the lifetime of the bike. If the bike has a 10 year run, that means they will have to offer map upgrades for 10 years after that for the last production year. I have yet to find a GPS manufacturer that supplies map upgrades 10 years after the product has been discontinued.
    I don't know how long in actual terms , but the Garmin I just bought has lifetime traffic and maps for whatever that is worth.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"