Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please

Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, wanted to say hey and get some input into the luggage rack that I'm making for myself. I do CAD modeling and have manufacturing hookups, so I figured why not make some parts for my bike that are functional and look cool (to me) as well. I took off the laughable little OEM Rack and played some clear contact paper on the back of the bike and traced the line of the back and saddle bag sections, then scanned it in and drew the rack up in CAD. Tried to keep the same styling of the OEM guy, just wanted more lash points and a bigger, beefier(more manly) rack. Just got the first iteration of my luggage rack cut and mounted. Haven't welded up the side brackets yet, but so far so good. I made it out of 3/16" steel and it weighs in at 6.6 lbs haha. Dont think this bike is going to mind the extra weight though. Seems very rigid and should work well. I read somewhere that Honda states only 6lbs rating on the OEM. I assume thats for liability reasons though as it seems like the mount points could hold 20 or so no problem.

One thing I wanted to kick my own ass for was being so excited to get it done that I didn't lay the stock seat on top and make the lines flow with the seat mount DOH! Oh well, changes are easy enough to make, though a little costly Also, was thinking about putting some smaller lash ribs (like the sides) on the front of the rack as well.

So in the interest of saving myself some loot, I was just looking for some input on any changes that I might need to consider when having a go at the second round. Aesthetics, functionality, weights you have had on the back with no issues, etc. Thanks for your input, glad to be part of the F6B family, its become my new favorite bike! Ps-first time posting here, so hope the pics come through properly.

Looks good! I am in the process of making my own as well. I modeled it in 3D CAD and printed it out 1:1. laid it on the bike and it looked great. I was going to get about 20 cut out of a sheet of 3/16 steel but after water jet cut time, welding and powder coating I was having a hard time getting the price under about $200. How are you getting yours cut? Laser cutting was an option that would be cheaper but would require too much clean up time and as you know, time is money. As of now I have decided just to make my own as I don’t think they will sell well for that price.
    The only thing I can say is the rack needs to be flat and not have screw heads sticking up on it. Those will wear into luggage and whatever you put on it as time goes by. Need as flat of a surface as possible but that’s just my opinion.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Looks good! I am in the process of making my own as well. I modeled it in 3D CAD and printed it out 1:1. laid it on the bike and it looked great. I was going to get about 20 cut out of a sheet of 3/16 steel but after water jet cut time, welding and powder coating I was having a hard time getting the price under about $200. How are you getting yours cut? Laser cutting was an option that would be cheaper but would require too much clean up time and as you know, time is money. As of now I have decided just to make my own as I don’t think they will sell well for that price.
    The only thing I can say is the rack needs to be flat and not have screw heads sticking up on it. Those will wear into luggage and whatever you put on it as time goes by. Need as flat of a surface as possible but that’s just my opinion.
    Very cool! I did the same thing with the layout paper haha. Yea, I don't think its something that you could make a good profit on after manufacturing and labor are factored in. I suppose you could have it made in China like everyone else I just wanted something for myself and love to model/design, so why not make my bike how I want it right?

I had it water jetted. Will powder coat the final version of course, but no sense in it until I am happy with the design. Lasering has come a long way, I have seen parts cut out of steel that look like a level 3 cut on a WJ, for a fraction of the cost. Might want to check into it if you are wanting to produce them en masse. Im sure they have samples of the cut edge. Realistically, I want to chamfer all the edges. My friend has a 5 axis WJ and can do it, but that would be three times as much due to time involved. Maybe on the final version?

I also want to make an extender to move the pillion backrest closer to the driver. My lady says she thinks there is too much room if she sits all the way back, and slides forward too much if I come in a bit hot and have to stop harder. So might mess with that and raise the backrest up at the same time so its more comfortable for her.

Would like to see some pics of your rack if you feel like sharing, if not I understand. Thanks for the input on the screws! I was going to recess them possibly like the OEM, but then couldn't think of a reason to do so, until now

Looks Good!

When will you be accepting orders? Do you accept Paypal?

How about provisions for flag mounts (standard slots and/or holes used by conventional flag mounts) ?

I like the cut-outs at the leading/trailing edges. makes it easier to fasten Rock Straps ( or what have you) to the rack.

I have the Bike MP3 rack myself; and they welded some "Tits" that protrude underneath (two on each side) which are absolutely worthless; since a cinched load on the rack will eventually (possibly but likely) require more tension adjustment while riding. The "Tits" by design are a unreliable tie-off point. A upside down cleat would've been better...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Wuzard13 View Post
    Very cool! I did the same thing with the layout paper haha. Yea, I don't think its something that you could make a good profit on after manufacturing and labor are factored in. I suppose you could have it made in China like everyone else I just wanted something for myself and love to model/design, so why not make my bike how I want it right?

I had it water jetted. Will powder coat the final version of course, but no sense in it until I am happy with the design. Lasering has come a long way, I have seen parts cut out of steel that look like a level 3 cut on a WJ, for a fraction of the cost. Might want to check into it if you are wanting to produce them en masse. Im sure they have samples of the cut edge. Realistically, I want to chamfer all the edges. My friend has a 5 axis WJ and can do it, but that would be three times as much due to time involved. Maybe on the final version?

I also want to make an extender to move the pillion backrest closer to the driver. My lady says she thinks there is too much room if she sits all the way back, and slides forward too much if I come in a bit hot and have to stop harder. So might mess with that and raise the backrest up at the same time so its more comfortable for her.

Would like to see some pics of your rack if you feel like sharing, if not I understand. Thanks for the input on the screws! I was going to recess them possibly like the OEM, but then couldn't think of a reason to do so, until now
    I will share at some point but not until I decide if I want to try to sale them or not. I did the same thing with tie down points around the perimeter. I didn’t want to bother with the tits under it like the MP3.

Edit: I just ordered my material on Thursday to take to a local cutter to cut mine. Material was $60 after shipping and cutting it is gonna be $150 plus welding etc. I am gonna have about $300 in his damn rack by the time I get done. I wish I had known you were working on th same and we could have worked together on the design and I could have paid you to have me one cut as well.
    Hopefully I will have mine cut in the next few weeks. I think everyone would like it! If I could get my cut cost down to $50 each it would be worth my time to produce a few. At $105 each, it’s not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuzard13 View Post
    Hello all! I'm new to the forum, wanted to say hey and get some input into the luggage rack that I'm making for myself. I do CAD modeling and have manufacturing hookups, so I figured why not make some parts for my bike that are functional and look cool (to me) as well. I took off the laughable little OEM Rack and played some clear contact paper on the back of the bike and traced the line of the back and saddle bag sections, then scanned it in and drew the rack up in CAD. Tried to keep the same styling of the OEM guy, just wanted more lash points and a bigger, beefier(more manly) rack. Just got the first iteration of my luggage rack cut and mounted. Haven't welded up the side brackets yet, but so far so good. I made it out of 3/16" steel and it weighs in at 6.6 lbs haha. Dont think this bike is going to mind the extra weight though. Seems very rigid and should work well. I read somewhere that Honda states only 6lbs rating on the OEM. I assume thats for liability reasons though as it seems like the mount points could hold 20 or so no problem.

One thing I wanted to kick my own ass for was being so excited to get it done that I didn't lay the stock seat on top and make the lines flow with the seat mount DOH! Oh well, changes are easy enough to make, though a little costly Also, was thinking about putting some smaller lash ribs (like the sides) on the front of the rack as well.

So in the interest of saving myself some loot, I was just looking for some input on any changes that I might need to consider when having a go at the second round. Aesthetics, functionality, weights you have had on the back with no issues, etc. Thanks for your input, glad to be part of the F6B family, its become my new favorite bike! Ps-first time posting here, so hope the pics come through properly.
    That looks great!

Just what I am looking for as well!
    If you ever go into production count me in.
    I need the rack to work with the OEM Honda brackets which I already have.

Mark

Looks nice, I jumped on the Dale's rack as I thought it would take too much time to get the design done and written to a DXF file to cut. (I am lazy)
    3/16 steel should be strong enough compared to a 3/16 aluminum as used in the Dale's rack. It has been said a Dales will support in the area of 40 lbs.
    On a different note, water jet is the cleanest cutting method but my plasma table with the correct tweaking does pretty nice also.

I am gonna set my rack with a tour pack for the misses, so the fugly won't hurt too bad
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First