Need more slack!!!

Thread: Need more slack!!!

Need more slack!!!

So I installed heli bars a few months ago and loved them. They made it so I could ride without excruciating pain in my upper back. I have them set so they are as close as I can get them to me. The throttle cables are a little tight which doesn’t bother me. Fast forward to December!! I finally get my Russel seat installed and I am trying to like this thing. I went for the longest ride since installing it yesterday and the pain was back and maybe even worse. I couldn’t wait to get off the bike!! I need the bars brought back to me even more now. I found a set of spacers I was going to put on my wing but sold it prior to doing so. I am going to try and install them today to see if it will get me close to where I need to be. The problem is I already am tight at my cables as stated previously. Any idea how to get a little more slack without taking the whole bike apart? I was so excited to get this seat too!!! I may end up having to send it back for adjustment but I am not real sure what I need. It almost feels like the seat pocket was moved back an inch or more. I know taxfree4 had this same issue when he installed his as well. I would love to get it to work with adding the risers because the extra leg room is nice.

If I remember his video correctly, I think Mike had his Heli bars on top of the Kuryakyn risers because he couldn't get the risers off for some reason, and he does have the RDL also. You might also try the MBL Innovation risers. The 1803S MBL risers bring the bars back 1.5 inches and in 2.25 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    If I remember his video correctly, I think Mike had his Heli bars on top of the Kuryakyn risers because he couldn't get the risers off for some reason, and he does have the RDL also. You might also try the MBL Innovation risers. The 1803S MBL risers bring the bars back 1.5 inches and in 2.25 inches.
    You ar correct and that’s what I plan on trying today.

If you are ever over Pensacola or even Baldwin County way I sure would like to take a look at your RDL/Heli Bar combination.

You are correct. Hili-Bars stretch both the cables as well as the brake hoses to their max. Unfortunately, almost everything on a GL1800 is cut to it minimum length. Such examples are wires, cables, hoses, and emission hoses. To my knowledge, many custom seats move the rider's riding position back about 1 inch. When done, if your cables and hoses passes these tests, you should be good.

- the throttle needs to snap the throttle body closed when the bars are moved to a full right, full left, and center position.
    - if the brake/clutch hoses are under any stress (taught) in full left, full right, and center positions. As well as full fork extension and full fork collapse while under full left, right and center position.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    If you are ever over Pensacola or even Baldwin County way I sure would like to take a look at your RDL/Heli Bar combination.
    Sure thing!! Mobile isn’t a far ride if you wanted to come this way at some point.
    Just let me know!!!

I ended up not adding the risers to the helibars and will call them tomorrow. I am sure Russel can fix it but i think it’s going to be considered a modification as a new cover will have to be made. According to their site, since it’s a modification I will be charged!!! Not happy. I compared my pics I sent to them to new pics taken and it clearly moved me back. I thought that was the reason for pictures was so I got about the same sitting position. Oh well, I will discuss this with them tomorrow. Hopefully they can help me out.