Possible concern for 2018 engines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible concern for 2018 engines

Possible concern for 2018 engines

So far I really like what I've seen and heard about the 2018 wings. But I'm not sure what to think about the aluminum sleeves in the engines. I'm sure there has been a lot of advances in aluminum alloys since the old "Vega" days but still a little concerned. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sometimes changes are done for efficiency and emissions reasons and not for durability. Honda touts they reduced weight but at what expense. I am not sold on the new changes yet. Time will allow feedback and opportunity for any problems to arise.

It's my understanding they'll be very reliable if supporting systems are well maintained (lubrication, cooling, and intake air). Another is valve adjustments. Compared to the 5th gen Wings, the 6th gen Wing will probably be much less forgiving to riders who poorly maintain their Wing. For example, fluids changes will be less forgiving. Another will be valve adjustments. Since most riders can tell the difference after having their 12 valves all adjusted the same, imagine having 24 of them all adjusted properly. Basically, maintenance cost will be considerably more. Valve adjustments on the new Wings is required twice as often and there are twice as many to check and adjust.

It is also my understanding that such systems are monitored by onboard monitoring systems.

I would not worry one little bit about the reliability of the Honda engines..These people have been building racing engines for years and in my opinion they know what they are doing with the new Goldwings...Technology is advancing rapidly and I am fairly sure Honda has done a lot of necessary research on motors they build....Reputation is a big thing to them and all will be just fine with the new GW motors....Ride safe....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I would not worry one little bit about the reliability of the Honda engines..These people have been building racing engines for years and in my opinion they know what they are doing with the new Goldwings...Technology is advancing rapidly and I am fairly sure Honda has done a lot of necessary research on motors they build....Reputation is a big thing to them and all will be just fine with the new GW motors....Ride safe....
    double+1. Remember, those Vega engines were engineered and built over 40 years ago.

Non-sleeved aluminum blocks are common today for BMW, Jaguar, Ford, Honda, and many others. I wouldn't sweat it at all!

Sleeveless Motors

Sleeveless motors have been around for many years! Single/Twin and Triple Cylinder Snowmobile Motors come to mind as does the 1800CC Suzuki M109. The fore mentioned motors use chrome plated cylinder bores with cast iron rings. This combo allows the rings to seat and not the cylinder walls. So hard is the chrome that chrome/molly rings will never seat. With Honda's reputation for motor design/building you can bet the new flat six has many, many hours of dyno and bench testing.

Acura

Or American Honda actually built engines for qualifying with no rings.
    Yes you hear me no rings, they built them with such close tolerances
    That there were no rings.These engines only lasted a short time. They were
    only for qualifying.
    I bring this up because I want to set you at ease as far as Honda engineering goes.

Honda & Toyota have the best engineers & tech's money can buy. In my opinion, they are far & ahead of anything else built anywhere.

Hmmm from the same people that sent some of the bikes out with less than the specified amount of lubricant?