How very strange
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How very strange

How very strange

It is so strange to see the streets in my area, they look
    to be snow covered.But no they are covered in a very thick coat
    of chemical combination of who knows what.
    Now I am one of those fools that will give his heated gear a test
    at times during the winter, but I will be damned if I will ride with this stuff
    on the road. You will actually raise a cloud as you ride down the road.
    Well we are going to get some rain this week and higher temps up from 4 deg at night
    Hoping that the 50 deg they speak of is true.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Well we are going to get some rain this week and higher temps up from 4 deg at night
    It's not strange. I've seen the idiots in Maryland DOT do this year after year. Too much salt and sodium chloride. There are literally piles of it out there in areas on the roads.

Even the rains coming next week will not be enough to wash it all away. We need more than that... and they're saying ice tomorrow in the PM:

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Is it salt brine in the liquid form they use that now all over. They call it pre-treating, to help to keep the ice from sticking to the road surface.
    It is gross stuff when it sits on the road. They (DOT) use other chemicals along this same route to do the same thing...all wet application. They also will spray the salt as it is distributed on the roadway with the chemical to help it stick better to the road surface and not blow off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    Is it salt brine in the liquid form they use that now all over. They call it pre-treating, to help to keep the ice from sticking to the road surface.
    It is gross stuff when it sits on the road. They (DOT) use other chemicals along this same route to do the same thing...all wet application. They also will spray the salt as it is distributed on the roadway with the chemical to help it stick better to the road surface and not blow off.
    In my neighborhood there is both solid and brine kin roads.
    You can't tell if they are snow covered or what.

At least my hose thawed out today. I was able to rinse my hot tub filter and replenish some of the water.

I have been literally living in my hot tub when outside; for these last several days of coolness up here.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Too Much Pre Treatment and Salt...

I spent much of the last month driving in DC, upstate NY and NYC, CT, PA, MD, Virginia and Maryland. I noticed that the roads in Virginia and Maryland are coated much more heavily with salt and brine when there appears to be no need for it. If its not snowing in upstate NY and NYC, PA and CT the roads don't seem to be coated with this crap. I think that the southern areas are pretreating in panic and then over treating. I've seen VA spraying roads two to three days in advance of predicted cold precipitation and the stuff stays on the road if the precipitation doesn't come as predicted. It seems like a huge waste of resources. In upstate NY, where the snow comes every few days, especially as you get close to the lakes, they have lots more equipment and are working 24/7 for days to keep the roads clear and they use lots of salt. But it was also apparent last week, when temps were between - 15 and 10 above (F) that the salt simply did not work. Roads became hard packed blue colored ice and snow. A friend of mine, who works for Onondaga County public works tells me that when it gets that cold they cut back on the salt and use mostly sand.

Quote Originally Posted by dadeo View Post
    I spent much of the last month driving in DC, upstate NY and NYC, CT, PA, MD, Virginia and Maryland. I noticed that the roads in Virginia and Maryland are coated much more heavily with salt and brine when there appears to be no need for it. If its not snowing in upstate NY and NYC, PA and CT the roads don't seem to be coated with this crap. I think that the southern areas are pretreating in panic and then over treating. I've seen VA spraying roads two to three days in advance of predicted cold precipitation and the stuff stays on the road if the precipitation doesn't come as predicted. It seems like a huge waste of resources. In upstate NY, where the snow comes every few days, especially as you get close to the lakes, they have lots more equipment and are working 24/7 for days to keep the roads clear and they use lots of salt. But it was also apparent last week, when temps were between - 15 and 10 above (F) that the salt simply did not work. Roads became hard packed blue colored ice and snow. A friend of mine, who works for Onondaga County public works tells me that when it gets that cold they cut back on the salt and use mostly sand.
    Maryland Hysteria regarding inclement weather (present company excluded)

You want to see winter follies? Come to Maryland where endless soccer mom SUV's are overturned in the highway medians

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Salt Brine! The hated solution to keep the snow from accumulating when a snow fall is forthcoming.
    Usually can be seen as about 10 strips running down the road. This has been going on in Southern Ontario for many years and in the spring if you go for an early ride you will find the bike covered in dried salt spray. If this happens an immediate wash job must be done.
    A pavement pounding rain storm is the only way the brine still left on the road is washed away.
    As for why do they put it on when there doesn’t seem to be a reason is because of the highway departments road budget.
    Having been a gov’t employee for 35 years I have seen management burn their budget up anyway they can so they can apply for more next year.
    If you don’t use it you will loose it. Managers will buy anything they can at year’s end just to use up their budget. So if there is excess salt or brine in the early spring plans are being made to use it A.S.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Salt Brine! The hated solution to keep the snow from accumulating when a snow fall is forthcoming.
    Usually can be seen as about 10 strips running down the road. This has been going on in Southern Ontario for many years and in the spring if you go for an early ride you will find the bike covered in dried salt spray. If this happens an immediate wash job must be done.
    A pavement pounding rain storm is the only way the brine still left on the road is washed away.
    As for why do they put it on when there doesn’t seem to be a reason is because of the highway departments road budget.
    Having been a gov’t employee for 35 years I have seen management burn their budget up anyway they can so they can apply for more next year.
    If you don’t use it you will loose it. Managers will buy anything they can at year’s end just to use up their budget. So if there is excess salt or brine in the early spring plans are being made to use it A.S.A.P.
    Yep.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Spot on analogy!!

The States started with brine about the same time...and have been trying all sorts of chemical combinations.