Quote Originally Posted by dadeo View Post
I spent much of the last month driving in DC, upstate NY and NYC, CT, PA, MD, Virginia and Maryland. I noticed that the roads in Virginia and Maryland are coated much more heavily with salt and brine when there appears to be no need for it. If its not snowing in upstate NY and NYC, PA and CT the roads don't seem to be coated with this crap. I think that the southern areas are pretreating in panic and then over treating. I've seen VA spraying roads two to three days in advance of predicted cold precipitation and the stuff stays on the road if the precipitation doesn't come as predicted. It seems like a huge waste of resources. In upstate NY, where the snow comes every few days, especially as you get close to the lakes, they have lots more equipment and are working 24/7 for days to keep the roads clear and they use lots of salt. But it was also apparent last week, when temps were between - 15 and 10 above (F) that the salt simply did not work. Roads became hard packed blue colored ice and snow. A friend of mine, who works for Onondaga County public works tells me that when it gets that cold they cut back on the salt and use mostly sand.
Maryland Hysteria regarding inclement weather (present company excluded)

You want to see winter follies? Come to Maryland where endless soccer mom SUV's are overturned in the highway medians