Tires
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Question Tires

I’m picking up my new to me F6B Deluxe Wednesday. At 10,500 miles and original tires date code 1249 I’m going to get new rubber right away. I’ve run Metzeler ME888s on my Valkyrie 1500 Tour and they work great. Between Dunlop Elite 4 and ME888 I’d go with the Metzelers. Anyone have any comments?

On my Hog I have had two sets of ME 888 come apart, literally throw the tread off.
    Like a truck tire would.
    I was running heavy 80 and 90 MPH all day (back from Sturgis ) Both times.
    You may have better luck.....
    But no more for me.
    AVON Cobras! So far so good.
    They went to Sturgis and back. no complaints.

http://wingstuff.com/products/34751-...l1800-goldwing

Date code doesn't look right. First two numbers are the week, next two numbers are the year. Bike came out in 13...should be a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 on the end.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnicolosi View Post
    I’m picking up my new to me F6B Deluxe Wednesday. At 10,500 miles and original tires date code 1249 I’m going to get new rubber right away. I’ve run Metzeler ME888s on my Valkyrie 1500 Tour and they work great. Between Dunlop Elite 4 and ME888 I’d go with the Metzelers. Anyone have any comments?

Many threads out about just that. Metz have such a bad rap I stay away from them. The Dunlop E-4s should be much better but have some bad reviews also, minor stuff but last a long time. Some really like the stock tires and stay with those. I choose the Avon Cobras, the only bad review I can find is they don't last as long as some others but they cost less than the long lasting noisy E-3s and are asphalt sticky and quite. Any of those three should give good service.

Tires

I am currently on a set of Elite 4's and I am completely satisfied with them. They have about 14,000 miles on them and have a lot of tread left. I expect the rear to go to about 20,000 miles. I had these installed last summer before I left on a ride that lasted 7800 miles during which I rode on a lot of different types of roads and some very heavy rain the tires performed great in all situations. At the start of the trip I took off a set of Elite 4's with about 8,000 miles on them because I wanted to start the long ride on a new set of tires. When the current tires wear out I plan on re-installing the set I took off.

In November I took a trip to Death Valley with a friend who had over 20,000 on his rear Elite 4 and it was still doing the job. In my opinion these are the best tires available for my type of riding.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Date code doesn't look right. First two numbers are the week, next two numbers are the year. Bike came out in 13...should be a 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 on the end.
    Ya, he either had a "typo" error, or he read the wrong thing.

I'm an Avon Cobra fan. As soon as these are worn out I'll change to Avon.

I have Dunlop E-4's and they are just fine..No issues at all and intend to run them again when these wear out...Some like the Avon tire a lot and they get good reports...No experience with Metzlers, but many do not like them much....I would recommend the Dunlop if it were my bike...Regards and ride safe

I used to run E3's and have changed back to Stones because they feel more sure-footed on wet pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Yes, I entered it wrong. 49th week of 2012. Thx for catching it.