Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larger Luggage Rack Prototype-Need Input Please

This rack looks awesome! I like the idea of a flag mount but even if not, this is way better than the Honda one. I would order one from you (hint).

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I like the cut-outs at the leading/trailing edges. makes it easier to fasten Rock Straps ( or what have you) to the rack.

I have the Bike MP3 rack myself; and they welded some "Tits" that protrude underneath (two on each side) which are absolutely worthless; since a cinched load on the rack will eventually (possibly but likely) require more tension adjustment while riding. The "Tits" by design are a unreliable tie-off point. A upside down cleat would've been better...
    Agreed 100%. The early MP3 racks had better tie-down points, with large "heads" that would prevent bungee hooks from sliding right off. Then they went to the current, useless design, probably to save a few pennies. It should still be possible to drill and tap these, then add some wide-head screws (or weld these on, but my welding looks horrible). It's little details like these that make all the difference.

I will even buy your tailrack without Powdercoating and get it done in my area.

Sorry guys, I just spoke to Rick, and to make any of these available to anyone, even not for profit, I would have to a vendor. I totally understand where he is coming from, and I simply don't have the time to try to make these.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Nut View Post
    When will you be accepting orders? Do you accept Paypal?
    Haha, thanks, but not doing this to try to make these in production. There wouldn't be enough profit in it and my time is more valuable to me than what I could make off of this. I run my own business, so time is tight and I'm a greedy little piggy with my free time .

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    I will share at some point but not until I decide if I want to try to sale them or not. I did the same thing with tie down points around the perimeter. I didn’t want to bother with the tits under it like the MP3.

Edit: I just ordered my material on Thursday to take to a local cutter to cut mine. Material was $60 after shipping and cutting it is gonna be $150 plus welding etc. I am gonna have about $300 in his damn rack by the time I get done. I wish I had known you were working on th same and we could have worked together on the design and I could have paid you to have me one cut as well.
    Hopefully I will have mine cut in the next few weeks. I think everyone would like it! If I could get my cut cost down to $50 each it would be worth my time to produce a few. At $105 each, it’s not worth it.
    Yes, its not cheap to make this kind of stuff if you don't have your own tools to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrider57 View Post
    That looks great!
    Thanks! I just wanted something that is actually functional and the little OEM guy wasn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    Just what I am looking for as well!
    If you ever go into production count me in.
    I need the rack to work with the OEM Honda brackets which I already have.
    Sorry, no plans for that, just making something for myself. Maybe Av8er can help you out with that

Quote Originally Posted by LA Weld View Post
    Looks nice, I jumped on the Dale's rack as I thought it would take too much time to get the design done and written to a DXF file to cut. (I am lazy)
    3/16 steel should be strong enough compared to a 3/16 aluminum as used in the Dale's rack. It has been said a Dales will support in the area of 40 lbs.
    On a different note, water jet is the cleanest cutting method but my plasma table with the correct tweaking does pretty nice also.

I am gonna set my rack with a tour pack for the misses, so the fugly won't hurt too bad
    I was looking at those tour packs too, would be cool to know the bolt up pattern ahead of time. What tour pack are you getting? I was actually playing around with a honeycomb pattern on the rack. This would allow for all kinds of bolt ups, look cool (to me), and still keep the weight down.

Seeing how you're not going to make these how about sharing your files? I would like a shot at making a rake and the dimensions would be a big help.

After thinking about it more, it will not be worth my time to make these. This will probably be a one off rack that cost me in the neighborhood of $250-300 to make after I am all said and done. That will be ok. I don’t mind paying for exactly what I want. The material is 3/16 and she will weigh in at 4.9 lbs. The 2D drawing shows my pieces underneath that the 3D model doesn’t show. These will be welded on, will keep the bolt heads from sticking up higher than the rack and will also let water drain rather than stand and rust.

Let me know your thoughts.

Wuzard, I am gonna shoot you a PM.

HAVING ISSUES LOADING PICS!! Standby!!!

Dang it!!!! Still cant!!!

Sorry!!!

That is a nice looking piece of hardware...very slick.

For the others asking...i habe been eyeing one on ebay. The seller is fairly local to me, although i do not know him and i have absolutely no dogs in this race...i have been thinking about buying one for myself.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-F6B-Rea...AAAOSwdSRZ7l38
    2015 matte silver F6B