vibration
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vibration

vibration

Will Heli bars and super brace stop vibration or shim if I take hands off bars?

Vibration?

Are you talking about steering wobble? Or something else?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

yes

Heli bars tighten up the steering from the triple tree up and add unlimited adjustment. Sounds to me that you have a different problem from the triple tree down.
    Unbalanced wheel, possible wheel bearing, even a bad neck bearing, could use some more info on the condition of the bike, mileage ect.
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

If you watch the Traxxion Dynamics videos, the top dawg there states that the Superbrace will not fix the wobble. Maybe it's a sales pitch, but he then states that IF you are to buy one, get the Kuryakyn brace and not the Superbrace. Their tests showed it to produce more rigidity, but will not cure the 35mph wobble. No experience yet with the Helibars.

No wobble on my F6B but did have it once on another bike. Fixed it by turning the neck bearing nut down just a bit to firm up the front end. Took two adjustments to get it right. It was easy to get to on the Yamaha Venture, prob not the case on this Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    If you watch the Traxxion Dynamics videos, the top dawg there states that the Superbrace will not fix the wobble. Maybe it's a sales pitch, but he then states that IF you are to buy one, get the Kuryakyn brace and not the Superbrace. Their tests showed it to produce more rigidity, but will not cure the 35mph wobble. No experience yet with the Helibars.
    Traxxion has their own brace now.

Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings. most likely noticed after you have put several thousand miles on any bike; even if the stem bearings were torqued down properly from the factory. The bearings wear will wear within their races and on further extended operation of the bike. As they seat and time elapses.. wobble can develop (play between the bearings and the races, exacerbated by forces pushing and pulling on that assembly which will exponentially transmit the misalignment to the handlebars); most especially noticeable when de-accelerating down through the 40-30 mph range. "wop-wop" will go the handlebars if you take your hands off of them.

Opas_Ride will give you a if you do that though... from past conversation with him. I have a memory like an elephant

Many manuals recommend retorquing the stem nut after a period of time. Because of wear. Of course we ignore that, as well as not replacing the spark plugs or checking valve lash on these motors. becase they are quite literally; bullet proof as empirical evidence gleaned through the ages of the GL1800 platform....

Had the issue on my past VTX1300R and replaced the bearings myself. Torqued them properly. No issue after that.

I'd venture that if you tightened down the stem bearing nut just a tiny bit; the wobble would go away. Of course it's involved though with the GL1800/F6B platform.

Steering wobble is VERY common with motorcycles. It's not fatal. But it is annoying. And can be remedied.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Considering that everything else is good in the front of your bike wheel balance good Tire Etc a lot of people claim that going to the All Balls bearing kit eliminate the wobble. I recently just purchased the helibars for my bike and they should be arriving soon. and I'm undecided whether I want to change the bearing in mine while I have the handlebars off as I have the wobble too. And I just had new tires put on mine and the dealer check my head bearing and they say they retorqued it. And I have about 10,000 miles on my bike. It is snowing here now so I still have time to think about it.

Need more info. Tire pressure front and rear. Mileage on tires and mileage on bike. Be aware that a problem at the handle bars could be manifested from the rear tire. Bad tire to loose lug nuts.i