vibration - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: vibration

To put this as nice as I can, if I had a problem I would not be looking for a patch.
    You will travel better fixing it.
    Step one, identify, then
    Rectify.
    Then make it supposedly better with the snake oil.
    Some are, some are not.

For me the vibration was gone as soon as I installed the All Balls bearing kit

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings. most likely noticed after you have put several thousand miles on any bike; even if the stem bearings were torqued down properly from the factory. The bearings wear will wear within their races and on further extended operation of the bike. As they seat and time elapses.. wobble can develop (play between the bearings and the races, exacerbated by forces pushing and pulling on that assembly which will exponentially transmit the misalignment to the handlebars); most especially noticeable when de-accelerating down through the 40-30 mph range. "wop-wop" will go the handlebars if you take your hands off of them.

Opas_Ride will give you a if you do that though... from past conversation with him. I have a memory like an elephant

Many manuals recommend retorquing the stem nut after a period of time. Because of wear. Of course we ignore that, as well as not replacing the spark plugs or checking valve lash on these motors. becase they are quite literally; bullet proof as empirical evidence gleaned through the ages of the GL1800 platform....

Had the issue on my past VTX1300R and replaced the bearings myself. Torqued them properly. No issue after that.

I'd venture that if you tightened down the stem bearing nut just a tiny bit; the wobble would go away. Of course it's involved though with the GL1800/F6B platform.

Steering wobble is VERY common with motorcycles. It's not fatal. But it is annoying. And can be remedied.
    Willtill, you do have a good memory as does my wife!!..And yes, I will never understand why anyone would feel the need to take their hands off the bars of an 800+ lb motorcycle at any speed!!! Just asking for trouble in my humble opinion....Regards and ride safe

This bike is the most balanced of any I've ever had. Can go many miles with no hands just using knees and a little lean to steer. Do it just for fun or for something simple like changing from clear to tented glasses or visa versa. Have even put sunscreen on without stopping before. Also a good change up for long trips, try setting on the back seat sometime, it gives the legs a good stretch. Many bikes have a little pull one way or the other but not this F6B. If you are not comfortable doing this then maybe you should not try it but I feel it is no danger other than maybe tire blowing or a deer jumping out in front of you, besides your back in control in nano seconds, some people I know cant even react that fast for anything that needs doing. Ha! Of course you can not have any front end shake so tighten those neck bearings even if a shop has already checked them and said they are torqued correctly, you can't always trust those people..

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Willtill, you do have a good memory as does my wife!!..And yes, I will never understand why anyone would feel the need to take their hands off the bars of an 800+ lb motorcycle at any speed!!! Just asking for trouble in my humble opinion....Regards and ride safe
    I have traveled literally thousands of miles no hands.
    My old Sportster was Perfect for it.
    With Pullbacks, a sleeping bag tied on the sisy bar for a pillow to lean on, and my feet up on the crash bars.
    I could lean back and steer with my knees for miles all sorts of comfy.
    I do this with my road King too, but the F6...its a little more difficult .

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    I have traveled literally thousands of miles no hands.
    My old Sportster was Perfect for it.
    With Pullbacks, a sleeping bag tied on the sisy bar for a pillow to lean on, and my feet up on the crash bars.
    I could lean back and steer with my knees for miles all sorts of comfy.
    I do this with my road King too, but the F6...its a little more difficult .
    Too each his own my friend and I am glad you are still around to relate this story!!!....Way to "risky and dangerous" for this guy...Regards and ride safe...

Risky for some I guess is true but certainly not for all. I'm well shy of the record myself. http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/28/...for-525-miles/

Quote Originally Posted by Veigae View Post
    Will Heli bars and super brace stop vibration or shim if I take hands off bars?
    I reiterate willtill's quoit "Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings". I suggest that you check the tire pressure, for loose triple tree or axle bolts, and that all front end fasteners and the steering stem bearings are at proper torque.
    If you are still having front end wobble or head shaking upon deceleration or around 45 MPH I highly recommend the "All Balls" bearing kit http://wingstuff.com/products/21578-...text=all_balls This stering stem bearing upgrade removes the OEM round ball bearings Honda uses in the F6B and GL1800 pre 2018 with a tapered roller bearing system which is an 100% improvement IMHO.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I reiterate willtill's quoit "Vibrations (aka wobble) is almost always attributed to the steering stem bearings". I suggest that you check the tire pressure, for loose triple tree or axle bolts, and that all front end fasteners and the steering stem bearings are at proper torque.
    If you are still having front end wobble or head shaking upon deceleration or around 45 MPH I highly recommend the "All Balls" bearing kit http://wingstuff.com/products/21578-...text=all_balls This stering stem bearing upgrade removes the OEM round ball bearings Honda uses in the F6B and GL1800 pre 2018 with a tapered roller bearing system which is an 100% improvement IMHO.

X2. I have All Balls and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    X2. I have All Balls and love them.
    I have all balls too!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537