Need Grommet Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Grommet Advice

Need Grommet Advice

The plan is to have my GPS on a Ram Mount with the wires going into the left glove box through a grommet on the side. Inside the glove box there will be the power connection and a Audio connection. This is so I can disconnect the cables and take the GPS off when not in use.

The question is for someone that has taken the glove box out.
    What is the distance from inside the glove box to the inner left panel under the Handlebar?
    I need this to buy a grommet and they are all different heights.

Thanks in Advance.

It is not clear to me what your are asking about the inner left panel under the handlebar but I see no need for a grommet. I can tell you if you take the wires down the left bar and continue lower you can come up from the opening and into the area under the left cubby. I made my connections there out of sight. Easy enough to penetrate the cubby bucket from below if you want your connections inside the cubby to be readily accessible. Not sure what GPS unit you have but all I've seen you wire the mount permentely fixed and the unit itself can be removed from the mount for security. Careful if removing the left cubby bucket as the push pins it uses are easily lost or damaged. Wing Stuff has an inexpensive replacement bag of push pins.

I'M also lost by; "I need this to buy a grommet and they are all different heights" All the grommets I know about ar round and nothing to do with heights. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=16409801

Assuming you're trying to get power to your GPS on your bars. I put a 12v power (cig lighter type) supply in the front of my left box & ran the wire under the lip of the cover by cutting a rounded grove / notch (used a round file), a little bigger than the wire. Open & close, no problem. So far so good.
    I use a marine grade (ebay) outlet, put it in the lower fwd part of the box. Note you need to keep it fairly close to the bottom for clearance. You might have to angle the front in first to get clearance for it to drop in.
    Don't know if this helps. Not sure what you're asking.

I’ll second that this is pretty easy and can be done very cleanly. I was just running another wire from the handlebars earlier this week.

Run the wire from the GPS mount down the handlebar, through the cable holder/cover (under the handlebar) along with the other wires. In the opening where the handlebar moves when you turn, feed the wire through the opening towards the area under the left cubby (cubby should have already been removed to give access). It should come through just below the left air intake. If you wire is too flexible, push a stiffer wire underneath the left air intake towards the handlebar opening. Once it comes out in the opening, tape your wire cable to the stiffer wire and then pull the stiffer wire and your cable into the below-cubby area.

Use several cable ties in several places to hold your power cable to other wiring coming down the handlebar. At the bottom of the handlebar leave slack for the movement of the bars so that the cable has slack and does not bind or get pinched when bars turned fully left or right.

Make your power connection to the switched 12v connector under the cubby. If you want your GPS audio to input to AUX, you can run that cable the same way.

Reinstall cubby and wa-la, a nice clean installation that is almost totally invisible. And, no grommets required!

I used this procedure fir running my GPS power and audio cables, and also a PTT cable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Men but I want to be able to take the GPS cradle off leaving only the Ram Ball.
    I have a Garmin Zumo 660 and anyone who has one knows all the wires are hard wired to the
    GPS cradle and when the power cable is attached the cradle can not be removed.
    So the plan is to cut the power wire and put in a connection to allow disconnecting.
    The Audio out Cable can remain untouched. After much head scratching I have decided to install a cable window in the lid of the left cubby hole thereby allowing me to connect and disconnect
    when needed.

You don't have the 1/2'' thickness required for those so I don't think those will work.

Agree. Just drill a hole and use a simple rubber grommet as 2wheelsforme recommended. Many of us do it that way and it works well.

Don't "over engineer" a hole

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Who you calling an a hole? "Don't "over engineer" a hole"

I would fear allowing water into my cubby if I put an unsealable opening in the lid. Please note you can access the cubby from below with no penetrations.