Perhaps one of you can help me understand...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps one of you can help me understand...

Perhaps one of you can help me understand...

Our beloved F6Bs are wonderful bikes, but we can all admit that Honda went a bit overboard in "nerfing" the B to differentiate from the full wing (Cruise control, GPS, ABS, etc.). Yes, they added cruise two years later, but the point is still valid.

What I don't get is why our USA market, which is always touted to be the "main market", gets the worst end when it comes to features??? This market is so important we got a late night release showcase of the bike, but SOMEONE in Honda routinely gives us the shaft.

The Canadian and Aussie F6Bs (especially the Aussie version with ABS, cruise, and reverse from the start) have features that we don't for a comparable price, and it appears that the trend continues.

According to page 40 of the manual, ALL versions of the Goldwing (1800B/1800BD/1800/1800D/1800DA) will have some functional form of reverse EXCEPT the US version. So anyone who wants to simply buy the upgraded F6B without the DCT in the US doesn't get reverse, while everyone else in the WORLD does. We're not talking about something they can sell us later as an accessory. We're talking about a function of the bike simply being removed from our market, while we pay basically the same price as the rest of the world .

I don't get it... What's up with Honda USA?? Who makes these decisions and why???

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    Our beloved F6Bs are wonderful bikes, but we can all admit that Honda went a bit overboard in "nerfing" the B to differentiate from the full wing (Cruise control, GPS, ABS, etc.). Yes, they added cruise two years later, but the point is still valid.

What I don't get is why our USA market, which is always touted to be the "main market", gets the worst end when it comes to features??? This market is so important we got a late night release showcase of the bike, but SOMEONE in Honda routinely gives us the shaft.

The Canadian and Aussie F6Bs (especially the Aussie version with ABS, cruise, and reverse from the start) have features that we don't for a comparable price, and it appears that the trend continues.

According to page 40 of the manual, ALL versions of the Goldwing (1800B/1800BD/1800/1800D/1800DA) will have some functional form of reverse EXCEPT the US version. So anyone who wants to simply buy the upgraded F6B without the DCT in the US doesn't get reverse, while everyone else in the WORLD does. We're not talking about something they can sell us later as an accessory. We're talking about a function of the bike simply being removed from our market, while we pay basically the same price as the rest of the world .

I don't get it... What's up with Honda USA?? Who makes these decisions and why???

Well... its because us Americans are stronger and do not require a reverse feature...

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I have heard that the equipment deletes

are decided by the Honda people in the country in question.

They make decisions based on price/content that they believe will sell. For example, the Canadian bikes get the ABS if it's available, haven't seen any exceptions. I do question their sanity when it comes to dropping cruise control and reverse on the early F6Bs.

Just to prove they are insane I have read that there will be no DCT Gold Wings for 2018 in Canada, you have to get the full Tour model to get that.

Or buy a used one from the USA.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Well... its because us Americans are stronger and do not require a reverse feature...

Reverse? Reverse? I don't need no stinking reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

Lol, that's a funny response, Willtill. I like it.

If it's true that other countries get standard features that U.S. versions don't (I'm not disputing it, I've just never looked into it), then could it be because the majority of Goldwing sales are in the U.S. and therefore Honda doesn't have to include as much bang for the buck to secure sales here? Maybe they need more bells and whistles to attract sales in smaller markets?

Jason

its the sales team in US who is deciding the options and the selling price, in other countries some options are not available and usually they pay far more than the US price. fr my 2017 F6B i paid $28k, yes it does have abs, cruise control n reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    Reverse? Reverse? I don't need no stinking reverse?
    I have reverse

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    ....They make decisions based on price/content that they believe will sell. For example, the Canadian bikes get the ABS if it's available, haven't seen any exceptions. I do question their sanity when it comes to dropping cruise control and reverse on the early F6Bs.

Just to prove they are insane I have read that there will be no DCT Gold Wings for 2018 in Canada, you have to get the full Tour model to get that.

Or buy a used one from the USA.
    So I guess this is what a meeting in the Honda USA boardroom sounds like:

[Suit 1]: "Hmmm. I think we should remove a tried and true feature that has been on Goldwings for years, is already engineered into the bike's design (therefore it makes virtually no difference to the price), and exists in the bike that would be a primary competitor and is already available in the market (BMW K-series) on a similarly priced vehicle."

[Suit 2]: "You mean like when we took off features that we've had for YEARS like Cruise Control, Navigation, ABS, and reverse to excessively differentiate from the full wing, even though the main competition at the time, the Harley Street Glide, had them all, except reverse, for a similar MSRP?"

[Suit 1]: "Yes."

[Suit 2]: "And you think we should do it again with a no-cost feature that we've had for years... for no sensible reason at all?"

[Suit 1]: "Yes."

[Suit 2]: "You sir.... are a GENIUS!!!"

[Suit 1]: "Not at all! I just keep my finger on the pulse of what our customers REALLY want. I even decided to pioneer a brand new feature... an add-on trunk that takes four hours to put on!"

[Suit 2]: "Amazing!!! No wonder you're the VP!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post

[Suit 2]: "And you think we should do it again with a no-cost feature that we've had for years... for no sensible reason at all?"

Except they didn't do it again.

All models of the new Gold Wing have Nav,cruise,ABS etc... The only exception is the 6 spd manual bagger model doesn't have reverse.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Except they didn't do it again.

All models of the new Gold Wing have Nav,cruise,ABS etc... The only exception is the 6 spd manual bagger model doesn't have reverse.

The "it" isn't the individual items on a feature list. It's the practice of needlessly removing something(s) that can be found on a competing product at the same price point.

It was Nav, cruise, ABS, etc.. against the Street Glide. It's reverse against the K1600B.

Different items. Same Honda practice.