Perhaps one of you can help me understand... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps one of you can help me understand...

Quote Originally Posted by bigswole31 View Post
    The "it" isn't the individual items on a feature list. It's the practice of needlessly removing something(s) that can be found on a competing product at the same price point.

It was Nav, cruise, ABS, etc.. against the Street Glide. It's reverse against the K1600B.

Different items. Same Honda practice.
    I guess I am not following you.
    What has Honda left off of the new Gold Wing?

The Base model K1600B doesn't have reverse. "Reverse Assist" can be added as an option.

You can buy the Bagger GoldWing with reverse in the DCT version. By the way, BMW doesn't offer DCT.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I guess I am not following you.
    What has Honda left off of the new Gold Wing?

The Base model K1600B doesn't have reverse. "Reverse Assist" can be added as an option.

You can buy the Bagger GoldWing with reverse in the DCT version. By the way, BMW doesn't offer DCT.
    Not sure what you aren't following...

I've seen the K1600B review vids, and I went to a dealer last weekend to see the bike for myself. Reverse Assist is the same electric reverse that Goldwings have. Yes it isn't "standard"... but it IS an option... just as cruise, nav, abs, etc should have been on our model of F6B IF Honda wasn't going to just include them... since all of this tech was already indigenous to the platform. Honda USA makes decisions to remove these things with NO option for them to be added as OEM options... even if we are willing to pay for them.

Reverse was left off from the USA version of the Goldwing 1800B, which is the new version of the F6B without the DCT. It is not available to USA buyers who want the 6-speed manual, non-tour version as standard or as an OEM option. It's native to the flat-six platform, been in Honda's bikes for years, is on the six-speed manual Goldwing Tour and the Goldwing 1800B models in other territories, and as you stated is available as an option on the K1600B... which the BMW dealer told me is getting a trunk accessory. I guess I'm just not a fan of needless take-aways.... especially if you won't even make them available as options.

I don't work for Honda, but do you really think that leaving that option in would have adversely affected the price?? I'm almost surprised that they didn't decide to remove the functionality from the DCT version of the 1800B as well.,,, just because it differentiates the models.

JMHO. Still love riding my F6B though.

Back when I was shopping for the f6b, I spoke to a lot of dealers that were shocked that it didnt have reverse. Then they would say that they had a lot of people cancel preorders back in 2012 on the 13's once they found out it didnt have reverse. So Honda would have probably sold a lot more bikes if it had kept the staples of the the full wing. Reverse, cruise, and nav. But, it didnt sell like they thought, and they moved on to another questionable decision.

I think a lot of people bought the 6's because they were deeply discounted and had the flat 6.

Not sure what you aren't following...

I've seen the K1600B review vids, and I went to a dealer last weekend to see the bike for myself. Reverse Assist is the same electric reverse that Goldwings have. Yes it isn't "standard"... but it IS an option... just as cruise, nav, abs, etc should have been on our model of F6B IF Honda wasn't going to just include them... since all of this tech was already indigenous to the platform. Honda USA makes decisions to remove these things with NO option for them to be added as OEM options... even if we are willing to pay for them.

Reverse was left off from the USA version of the Goldwing 1800B, which is the new version of the F6B without the DCT. It is not available to USA buyers who want the 6-speed manual, non-tour version as standard or as an OEM option. It's native to the flat-six platform, been in Honda's bikes for years, is on the six-speed manual Goldwing Tour and the Goldwing 1800B models in other territories, and as you stated is available as an option on the K1600B... which the BMW dealer told me is getting a trunk accessory. I guess I'm just not a fan of needless take-aways.... especially if you won't even make them available as options.

I don't work for Honda, but do you really think that leaving that option in would have adversely affected the price?? I'm almost surprised that they didn't decide to remove the functionality from the DCT version of the 1800B as well.,,, just because it differentiates the models.

JMHO. Still love riding my F6B though.
    Oh,I follow you. I just don't agree with your assessment. That's all.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

It's because the USA is not Honda's main motorcycle market. They could stop selling bikes in the USA and it wouldn't make a difference to their bottom line. Asia and Europe are their main markets. Look at all of the bikes in those markets that never make it to the USA.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Well... its because us Americans are stronger and do not require a reverse feature...

Heeheehee

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    It's because the USA is not Honda's main motorcycle market. They could stop selling bikes in the USA and it wouldn't make a difference to their bottom line. Asia and Europe are their main markets. Look at all of the bikes in those markets that never make it to the USA.
    You may be correct in total sales overall, but I'd be very surprised if there was a bigger market for the Gold Wing and variants than the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    You may be correct in total sales overall, but I'd be very surprised if there was a bigger market for the Gold Wing and variants than the USA.
    Yeah, Wikipedia says U.S.A. is biggest Goldwing market by a wide margin. Haven't vetted it, but it makes sense.

Jason

I don't get it... What's up with Honda USA?? Who makes these decisions and why???
    It is called marketing, and it's not for us to understand. Probably, if you were on the other side of the fence, the Honda side, it would make total sense. But from our viewpoint it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    It is called marketing, and it's not for us to understand. Probably, if you were on the other side of the fence, the Honda side, it would make total sense. But from our viewpoint it does not.
    Honda will come out with new car models and the first new year they will be missing all of the bells and whistles. Each subsequent year, they will add a little more bling to the same body style to entice trade-ins. The offshore markets often get bling never offered stateside even in the last year of the given body style.