Modulating headlight debate - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    One of the great things about this country is the right to choose. If you dont like them, dont run them. Period.

However, I ran them for several years on my 07 ST1300A, and could absolutely tell the difference on the number of cagers that pulled out in front of me before I had them, and after I installed them.

If they aggravate some cager, that is a good thing, because it means I have been seen and noticed, which is their purpose. Right?

People have a lousy sense of "rate of closure", which is one reason why so many cagers pull out in front of bikes. They take a glance our way, but dont look long enough for the brain to take multiple "pictures" in order to calculate the rate of closure (how fast the bike is approaching the cager). With the modulators, it jogs the cager into "what is that?" which means a longer look, which means more "pictures" taken, which means the cager's brain can better calculate the biker's rate of closure, which means we have been noticed and not pulled out in front of. Job accomplished.

This is MHO, and is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Here is a good example of a poor rate of closure estimate. http://www.pressherald.com/2017/12/0...co-bay-bridge/
    It happened yesterday. As a pilot, I lived (or not) by accurate rate of closure. However, I often have to "hold on for my life" when riding with my family or friends. Years ago I believed that it was inattention that caused these problems since people turn their head talk to you, play with phones, etc. Now I realize that there are a seriously high percentage of people in the US that just have a busted rate of closure meter.

I take full responsibility while riding. I use my alertness and riding skills to avoid miss-haps. I assume I am totally invisible ... that know one can see me ... it is my sole responsibility to avoid "them."

Modulators, God and Marvin the Martian!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I won't put a modulator on my bike. The good lord has a date for me to leave this earth which I do not know when it is or how it is going happen. Could be a motorcycle accident, car accident, heart attack, cancer, or just plain old age and I'm good with it.
    IMO He also gave us the ability to invent (and good sense to wear) a helmet and protective gear, thereby maybe giving us the opportunity to put that day off a bit!

All this reminded me of Marvin the Martian's "Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator". I want one of those!

;-)

I contacted Kisan about using low beams for modulating and they said no problem.
    I asked about using a switch on the light sensor cable to be able to run the lows without modulating and that was no problem as well.

Here is his answer:

Mark,

Switch needs to in-line with just one of the wires.

Slit open the black jacket of the Sensor cable
    Use the Black wire inside to hook-up the toggle switch
    Switch ON to allow modulation - (closed position)
    Switch OFF to stop modulation - (open position)

Good luck.

Andy

This what I will be doing. Now looking for a waterproof toggle switch.

It is illegal to fit them in Australia because other motorists mistake them for emergency vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    I hate modulating headlights. But sometimes I wish I had them in Los Angeles traffic.
    I love mine! I only use them when it's time to start lane splitting. I've found that, for the most part, SoCal drivers are fairly aware of motorcycles (relative to other States I've ridden in). But flicking them on when it's time to lane split on a stalled freeway or highway, it's amazing how well it works. It also might be the beige riding jacket, white helmet, and Honda motorcycle (akin to the ST1300s favored by the LA Sheriff), combined with a flashing light, that gets attention...

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    It is illegal to fit them in Australia because other motorists mistake them for emergency vehicles.
    Crazy Aussies! I bet you even drive on the wrong side of the road!

Sure do.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I am my own emergency vehicle. LOL
    I have LED driving lights mounted to the top of crash bars on the road king.
    At the press of a button, they go full wigg wagg .
    Intersections and LEFT turns-, - if not careful they will kill ya.
    The Wig Wagg lights are just enough to bring most them out of their Cheeze burger trance to almost notice ya!.
    Even so, I count on every one of them doing the wrong thing.

Circle-5
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    I love mine! I only use them when it's time to start lane splitting. I've found that, for the most part, SoCal drivers are fairly aware of motorcycles (relative to other States I've ridden in). But flicking them on when it's time to lane split on a stalled freeway or highway, it's amazing how well it works. It also might be the beige riding jacket, white helmet, and Honda motorcycle (akin to the ST1300s favored by the LA Sheriff), combined with a flashing light, that gets attention...
    So you're saying that headlight modulation can be switched on and off as needed? If yes, can the switch be located anywhere? (there is no lack of places to mount switches on the F6B). And finally, will a modulator work with LED headlights, or does it just become a big, giant on-off flasher from hell?

Following the earlier suggestion by Willtill, I would prefer to have the low beams modulate instead of the high beams – makes more sense to me.