Long Beach, CA - IMS Show - Nov. 17th-19th 2017 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Beach, CA - IMS Show - Nov. 17th-19th 2017

Hook my apologies. I just looked closer at your avatar. I'm guessing you won't be reaching for the clutch lever. I still think you won't miss the foot shifter. All the DCT mode controls are on the right grip. The shifting is really intuitive.
    15 F6B Purple with purple monster flakes.
    13 CTX 700 DCT Red
    02 GL1800 Red

It appears the rear view mirror surfaces in the new design have been reduced and I wondered if the horn tone and volume was also changed?

Small things I know, but two of my favorite features on the [original] O-B.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    It appears the rear view mirror surfaces in the new design have been reduced and I wondered if the horn tone and volume was also changed?

Small things I know, but two of my favorite features on the [original] O-B.
    Both good points. A car horn in the B is great. That is always something I upgraded in previous bikes, but not the B

They did cut the mirrors in half. I like the tall mirrors for both wind protection and when leaned over in the twisties. You still get the same sight picture. Narrow horizontal mirrors are limited to straight up riding.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    The leg/foot position is a bit cramped for me on the K1600B and Grand America. So is the F6B for that matter, thus the reason I bought lowered boards before I got it home. It seems both the Goldwings and Grand America have limited storage, but I like the idea of 7 gallon fuel tank and 160HP on the BMWs. The BMW's also have some vertical adjustment on the handlebars if you don't get the forged ones.

It is a tough question to answer, I would have to ride both two-up, but am not compelled to buy either at the movement because neither fit my wish list. Will have to wait and see what the aftermarket brings to both to address some issues.

The gal at the show said she gets @ 39MPG on her K1600B. What do you get on yours ?
    You know that is something that has perplexed me about the MPG claims of the new GL1800 and the reasoning that they could reduce the fuel capacity. They were claiming 42 mpg as reason they could do this. I am not in the habit of checking my fuel mileage. I have, however done it out of curiosity. The last time was while riding mostly interstate at speeds of 80 - 90 mph. I was getting approximately 42 mpg then. So would the new Wing do substantially better? They're claiming 42mpg, I'm like I already get that mpg but now would have 1.1 less gallons. We shall see.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    You know that is something that has perplexed me about the MPG claims of the new GL1800 and the reasoning that they could reduce the fuel capacity. They were claiming 42 mpg as reason they could do this. I am not in the habit of checking my fuel mileage. I have, however done it out of curiosity. The last time was while riding mostly interstate at speeds of 80 - 90 mph. I was getting approximately 42 mpg then. So would the new Wing do substantially better? They're claiming 42mpg, I'm like I already get that mpg but now would have 1.1 less gallons. We shall see.
    I had to look up my fuel mileage from my cross country trip. Average was @ 36-37 MPG. I seem to get less when I ride in the mountains.

Min: 29.5 MPG - Strong sustained headwinds
    Ave: 36.2 MPG
    Med: 37.6 MPG
    Max: 45.4 MPG - mostly downhill

Max theoretical range for 6.6 gallons varied between [194 and 299] miles

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    I had to look up my fuel mileage from my cross country trip. Average was @ 36-37 MPG. I seem to get less when I ride in the mountains.

Min: 29.5 MPG - Strong sustained headwinds
    Ave: 36.2 MPG
    Med: 37.6 MPG
    Max: 45.4 MPG - mostly downhill

Max theoretical range for 6.6 gallons varied between [194 and 299] miles
    My 42 mpg was a couple years ago or so on I-75 mostly going from Kentucky down to Deals Gap. Running 80 plus. Now to be fair, the whole tank was not run on interstate, but on back roads. I measured it 3 or 4 times over the coarse of that weekend,which included riding in the Smokies and the result was similar. I wasn't hot dogging it as I had a friend along on his Harley with a passenger.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy View Post
    Hook my apologies. I just looked closer at your avatar. I'm guessing you won't be reaching for the clutch lever. I still think you won't miss the foot shifter. All the DCT mode controls are on the right grip. The shifting is really intuitive.
    Not a problem I thought all the controls for the sport shift mode where on the left side?
    P.S. I'm coming off my 2013 F6B for this bike. So the Clutch is and was not the Problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm going to the Minneapolis show in December and good to see what to expect. I for one am very excited about the new Goldwing. I don't mind it being smaller since I always ride solo and I can strap anything I need on the back seat or luggage rack. Did you like the new Goldwings better than the Grand America? I have a K1600B and love it, but expect to love the new wing even more.
    Attended the Minneapolis show over the weekend. No Yamaha or Triumph there, but got to see the new F6B (base wing), which I loved. It being smaller is fine with me too as my lovely wife doesn't ride. Each of the 3 Wings on display had different-sized windshields, so I was able to confirm that the windshield (at it's highest position) on the base Wing/F6B is too low for me, but the medium one is absolutely perfect. For those of you new to electronic adjustable windshields, you're going to love it. Was hoping to also sit on the K1600B to check out that windshield position, but didn't get the chance. With no Yamaha at the show, I was not able to check out the new Venture, but I'm trying to get away from a v-twin, so a Venture purchase is not very likely.

Yes, I was there as well and loved the new wing! I camped out there for quite a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if I saw you. I feel that Honda read my mind when they made this motorcycle. I can't wait to get one!

Progressive's VS Other Shows?

I have been disappointed with what shows up at the Progressive International MC show in DC in recent years. So much so that I am not sure I am going this year. I like going to motorcycle shows, especially off season to get me in the mood and give me ideas about what I can do to my bike... But the regional shows that "local" dealers and vendors hold seem to be better, cheaper, easier to get to and just more fun. Most recently I went to ones at the Maryland and NY state fair grounds. They had more brands of bikes there, more gear vendors, more interesting (and crazy) custom bikes on display, more demo ride bikes, and just a friendlier atmosphere. Plus parking is plentiful (compared to downtown DC)!

Recently I've attended these
    Maryland http://cycleshow.net
    Harrisburg and Syracuse: http://syracusesuperswap.com/Default.htm

Got any suggestions for good regional shows this winter?