The "Scrape Club" - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Scrape Club"

Quote Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
    Was a legend? Did something happen to him or is there someone better?
    He had a bad accident. He no longer rides. He still does the Dragon but in a Nissan Z. He drives a truck for a living.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Heatnbeat View Post
    Opas ride, you just need to kick your game up a bit.
    One of the local guys is 78 and riding a couple year old Aprillia.
    He's riding the new one because he crashed his last one. Yeah, crashed at 150 mph during a track day at age 74!
    My brother asked him about the hospital bills (Huge!!!) and he said the insurance covered it because track days were considered educational. When asked if it was educational, what had he learned he replied "Don't get off at 150!"
    So Opa there's hope yet.😄
    Thanks for the encouragement, but I would like to ride a few more years if possible..There are so many "crazies" on the roads as it is and I don't need to take any greater risks than I am doing currently, and trying to "scrape the pegs" is not very high on my priority list!! I am one of the fortunate ones that has never been down in over 50 years of riding and try to keep it that way by not taking unnecessary risks....Regards and ride safe

When parts start scraping (and if it isn't my pegs it's the kickstand expander that grinds) I just back off a little and am more mindful of my entry line & speed. That's fast enough, for me anyway.

Minimal Scrape

I don't scrap the pegs on the F6B nearly as often as I did on my Valkyrie Tourer. I minimize scraping through weight transfer and smoothness. That said, when I ride with others, even those on sportbikes, I caution them to ride their own ride. Trying to keep up with me in the curves can lead to undesirable consequences depending on their skill level and experience.
    I don't get sentimental about motorcycles.

That's a lie.

I'm a bit more than a little sentimental about this one.

Yep, I scrape. Sometimes I even try to scrape, but not that often. Usually when it does it's just time. I wore about a 1/2" off the outer edges of my boots on one ride. lol
    Hoff aka Brian
    2016 F6B Deluxe in Matte White

I too am cautious when I start to scrape. For me, it's a warning note that I need to relook my entry. I want to go thru the curve fast but I want it to be graceful not catastrophic. That's not to say I didn't deliberately scrape my pegs after I redid my suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I too am cautious when I start to scrape. For me, it's a warning note that I need to relook my entry. I want to go thru the curve fast but I want it to be graceful not catastrophic. That's not to say I didn't deliberately scrape my pegs after I redid my suspension.
    There is nothing "catastrophic" going on when I scrape hard parts. Just good ol' fun. I practice my riding techniques, but this bike ,as good as she handles, runs out of cornering clearance pretty quick. If you are riding quickly enough, you will scrape parts. That's why I put the titanium pucks on my foot pegs so there is also a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    There is nothing "catastrophic" going on when I scrape hard parts. Just good ol' fun. I practice my riding techniques, but this bike ,as good as she handles, runs out of cornering clearance pretty quick. If you are riding quickly enough, you will scrape parts. That's why I put the titanium pucks on my foot pegs so there is also a show.
    That's pretty cool!

No Scrapes necessary

Hi guys, I cut my teeth on sport bikes years ago and all of the training that I acquired along the way has come with me to the F6B. Ive attended Keith Codes super street bike school, Lee Parks's Total Control courses as well as a handful of others through the years. with that said, Im no Valentino Rossi but I can pilot a motorcycle through any turn at a respectable speed while maintaining the ability to react to changes in road conditions and the occasional idiot driving left of center. I would argue that your suspension is practically useless when you're scraping hard parts. An unloaded suspension can lead to low and highsides or even stand the bike up in a turn and lead to you running out of road and in to disaster. Although sparks look cool, they are likely signs that your body position needs work. what I mean is the more of you that is on the inside of the turn, the less the bike has to lean into the turn. This "body off" technique gains you more ground clearance and more importantly suspension travel. You certainly won't master this from reading my ramblings but I highly recommend attending a riding course (Its not just for the sport bike guys ya know) it WILL improve your riding. just my two cents.Attachment 26028
    2015 Blue F6B Deluxe, Mods: Bagger shield, Heli Bars, Garmin ZUMO, Beverage Butler, LED HIs/Lows, Pathfinder Switchbacks, Smoked Lenses. Kury Ergo IIIs, Iso foot rests, Transformer Passenger floor boards, Reflector replacement Lights, Trailer Isolation harness, Iso Grips, Smart Mount Backrest, Luggage rack, Homemade Lightning Strike, TBR Exhaust, ADD ON Hitch, Healtech Brake flasher, J&M upgraded speakers. K&N Air filter, LED Accent lights, Custom flag bar, Tritium Led Fog lights, Air Wings...

Quote Originally Posted by InvictusF6B View Post
    Hi guys, I cut my teeth on sport bikes years ago and all of the training that I acquired along the way has come with me to the F6B. Ive attended Keith Codes super street bike school, Lee Parks's Total Control courses as well as a handful of others through the years. with that said, Im no Valentino Rossi but I can pilot a motorcycle through any turn at a respectable speed while maintaining the ability to react to changes in road conditions and the occasional idiot driving left of center. I would argue that your suspension is practically useless when you're scraping hard parts. An unloaded suspension can lead to low and highsides or even stand the bike up in a turn and lead to you running out of road and in to disaster. Although sparks look cool, they are likely signs that your body position needs work. what I mean is the more of you that is on the inside of the turn, the less the bike has to lean into the turn. This "body off" technique gains you more ground clearance and more importantly suspension travel. You certainly won't master this from reading my ramblings but I highly recommend attending a riding course (Its not just for the sport bike guys ya know) it WILL improve your riding. just my two cents.Attachment 26028

I would love to have to go through one of Keith Codes classes.

I've at least watched the Twist of the Wrist videos.

I do practice the fundamentals every time I ride. Been doing so for years.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. However, as stated before, these bikes run out of cornering clearance pretty quickly . Yes all the factors that go into piloting a motorcycle properly though corners help in doing so safer and will improve your speed through corners before "scraping". But you are going to scrape at some point if your speed is fast enough. I don't care who you are or how much "English " you throw at the bike. You could argue that at that point you are going too fast. Well that might be more of an effective argument. I'll leave that to one's personal discretion. I always tell people "Ride Your Own Ride"