A V twin motor does offer some advantages. They provide a lot of practical power (low end torque), don't take up precious leg room, and provide a nice sound (just an opinion).

However, in my opinion, there are just as many disadvantages...and the balance gets tipped when they are air-cooled. Sure, less maintenance, fewer parts, but they get hot; they ping when running at high temps and lose power; the thud-thud-thud (or potato-potato-potato) gets annoying; you have to be a licensed surgeon to get to the valve covers.

As for dumping 87 in it instead of 91, we will have to wait for reports from the field to know for sure. It is a Yamaha, so I am sure their technology will have a way to compensate for faster burning fuel.

Yamaha really should have liquid cooled this engine. Their 1300 is liquid cooled, and despite 500 fewer cc's, I think it makes the same horsepower.

I get the market they are going after, the culture, the nostalgia, their market research that indicates the 50-60 year old cruiser buyer insists on air-cooling ... but, come on, too much sacrifice to get the look.

Yet, I still have my eye on one, and it will be interesting to ride a Venture and see how it feels with me behind the bars; but on paper, there are some turnoffs.