Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
+1

There is no conspiracy here. This is an example of the system at work. As stated in the article Willtill refs... reasonable doubt is the standard that has to be met in capital crimes. Obviously the prosecution was less than convincing in presenting their case.
Honest question here, and please try to answer it without your escalating levels of snark; it's not a good look.

From the article:

Weisberg, the criminal justice professor, who was not involved in the case, said he was "particularly surprised" that the jury did not convict Garcia Zarate of manslaughter. "It's not improbable to think that the shooting showed a gross kind of negligence," he said.

Weisberg said prosecutors may have had trouble reconciling the first- and second-degree murder charges with the involuntary manslaughter charge. "It could be that they were just in a situation where they couldn't make an argument that the shooting was both accidental and intentional," he said.

I honestly don't know how/why the charges are/were connected; 1st, 2nd, and involuntary. I thought, (and I'm obviously not a lawyer), that juries could consider each charge in isolation. If so, at least in my mind, (but it appears also in others), that it was clear her death occurred at least in part due to careless handling of the gun by the perp. No intent, no malice, just a dumbass with a gun. Thanks for any info you can provide.

I did kinda chuckle when I saw the Feds are after him now. I suspect his treatment here in Texas will be a bit different.