Modulating headlight debate - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Modulating headlight debate

Quote Originally Posted by thumper 549 View Post
    I am my own emergency vehicle. LOL
    I have LED driving lights mounted to the top of crash bars on the road king.
    At the press of a button, they go full wigg wagg .
    Intersections and LEFT turns-, - if not careful they will kill ya.
    The Wig Wagg lights are just enough to bring most them out of their Cheeze burger trance to almost notice ya!.
    Even so, I count on every one of them doing the wrong thing.
    X2

Modulator sensor position

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    So you're saying that headlight modulation can be switched on and off as needed? If yes, can the switch be located anywhere? (there is no lack of places to mount switches on the F6B). And finally, will a modulator work with LED headlights, or does it just become a big, giant on-off flasher from hell?

Following the earlier suggestion by Willtill, I would prefer to have the low beams modulate instead of the high beams – makes more sense to me.
    I installed mine on the low beams (high beams just too much) with a cutoff switch in the sensor circuit so that I can turn them off during the day if desired. Otherwise the sensor controls them, and per the regulations stops the modulation when the sun goes down. If anyone wants to see pictures of where I mounted the sensor and cutoff switch, just PM me with an email address and I will send pictures of the sensor position and switch (DPST to switch both the sensor wires) I used.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    So you're saying that headlight modulation can be switched on and off as needed? If yes, can the switch be located anywhere? (there is no lack of places to mount switches on the F6B). And finally, will a modulator work with LED headlights, or does it just become a big, giant on-off flasher from hell?

Following the earlier suggestion by Willtill, I would prefer to have the low beams modulate instead of the high beams – makes more sense to me.
    Correct. I have it installed on my high beams. If I turn my high beams on, and it's during the day (modulators can only be used during daylight), then they flash. Turn the high beams off - no modulators. it will work on anything you have - I have LED headlights and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by druggr View Post
    I too will never have them. I ride as if I am invisible to others and take full responsibility if someone hits me. I too find them annoying.
    Amen, I have ridden that way for over 50 years, no problems...Think that I am invisible and do all I can to make myself seen, but not with wig wag lights...

I recall my first experience with the modulators on the road. At the time I drove a Trans Am and the need for speed was constant. One afternoon I am cruising above the speed limit and saw a motorcycle catching up to me with modulators on.Uh-oh,so I slow down and the guy passes me. I was pissed because he interrupted my fun. I saw this guy occasionally and my first thought was always the cops.Found out later about modulating high beams on a motorcycle but the one thing I knew personally is that it always got my attention.Later I had a buddy that had them.He always rode tailgunner but there was never a time I couldn't see him.
    My impression? yeah they work.I dont use them but they DO get noticed at a distance.
    Oh when I bought my F6B I wanted to pay for it,but needed a car. I had given my SUV to one of my daughters but I had to have this bike with only so much money. So I bought and paid for the bike and bought a police car from an auction.I became one of those 'wankers' that drove those cars and POed a few people when I pulled in behind them.Actually loved that car. It handled very well,had a dual ratio transmission and was fast as hell but I eventually sold it.