Looking for a new helmet. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new helmet.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am enjoying this thread because I am one of those guys, yes I am, that does not wear a helmet. Over the last couple of summers I have started wearing one when traveling threw states that it was necessary and have found myself enjoying it. Don't know that I will wear one every time I get on the bike, but who knows.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

I wear one most of the time but have to say in my opinion, if you have never rode along the beach (or some other nice road) on a warm summer night, helmet free to enjoy the cool breeze in your hair, you have not enjoyed motorcycle riding as much as is possible. So glad Florida is a "me decide" state.

We still consider riders without helmets to be organ donors

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    We still consider riders without helmets to be organ donors

Poorest choice for a first post I may have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Poorest choice for a first post I may have ever seen.
    My wife is an ER nurse, and the organ donor comment is common in her work environment. I tend to agree.

Long ago and far away I was sent to a very warm tropical country. While there i was shot down and was wearing my SPH-4 helmet. After the fact we all were amazed at the damage done to our helmets and mine in particular. With out question, if I had not had that helmet on I would have been killed.

Today, I only buys helmets with the highest Snell/DOT ratings and then go for the best fit. After all that I look at price. After all, how much is your head worth?
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

Ask 30 people get 40 different answers = I always try to get one that's SNELL & DOT approved, for me they must be full face =
    Modular helmets will NOT pass SNELL neither will helmets w/ a drop down sun screen. =

motorcyclegear.com always has some great deals. They buy up new, last years left over stock. You can try it on, wear it around the house & they'll pay S&H to send it back, send you another one, another one until you get one you love =remember, it should never be loose. Should be snug, you should have "fish face" for a while BUT never so tight it causes hot spots or headaches. Make sure your glasses will go in. Slide it on from the rear part of your head. email Aaron with all your questions, he's great to deal with.

Go to the largest motorcycle accessory store that’s available. Test fit the helmets that you are interested in. Put them on, take them off, work the shields etc. Wear them in the store for 30 minutes. Different helmets in different sizes will not fit the same. Luckily we have Iron Pony here in Columbus. They have a huge helmet selection. You’ll see people walking around wearing helmets while shopping. Just like you would sit on a bike that you’ve never been on before to see how it feels after a half hour or so..

I have been using this one for over a year now. It's lightweight, but a good all round helmet.

ls2.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQoi2Y8S4as&t=9s
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Last I heard the helmet law here in FL. might change. They're wanting to make using a cell while driving a first offense & tacked onto that bill is the helmet law. Never heard where it went / going. A ABATE lobbyist use to have some power over MC laws. Don't know anymore. ABATE (here in FL.) is in bad shape. The "older" guys (mostly HD guys) are tired of doing it & stepping down & there's no young blood interested (mostly sport bikes). I've noticed almost all of the young riders wear helmets & full gear.
    We're in the boonies, live with in sight of rt. 450 (aka "tail of the gecko") we can hear the sport bikes coming, when they hit the straight stretch, they're running well over 100 mph passed our home. At times there's 15-20 of them, all in full riding gear. ATGATT. Makes me wish I was that age again. Well, maybe for a day or two.