horn upgrade???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horn upgrade???

horn upgrade???

Hi all,
    I haven't found to much info for horn upgrades here on the forum. I had a shadow 1100 a few years back that I put a stebel nautils on. I would like to upgrade the horn on the f6b from the stock to something with a little more "outta my lane!!!!" but not big ol chrome air horns. Anyone upgrade here?
    Thanks all!

Our bikes currently have a car horn which is nice and loud. The few times I've honked, people pay attention and move outta the way. Not sure what else you want other than moving up to the air horn you mentioned.

The F6B horn is one of my favorite things about the bike. I think it is probably the best horn on a motorcycle.
    When I have the occasion to use it, people are amazed that it sounds like a car. A big car.
    If I ever did change it, it would be to one of those train horns that need a compressor to run.
    That would be fun!

I echo comments above, The horn on the F6B is more than adequate., Scare the shit outta myself sometimes when I infrequently and expectantly activate it myself.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I’m with the above also. The horn for me is for preemptive or after the fact. If your blowing the horn, your not getting out of or away from the trouble at hand. If your really set on a louder horn find a wrecked 1800 Wing and buy the horn off it and add it to your bike.

With all of you

Our horn as delivered is way better than the almost horn that was on my trusty
    Valkyrie back in 99. I had to install a set by one of the best mechanics that I have known
    for bikes.
    You wouldpress that button and have to scream as loud as you could.
    Count your blessings my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post
    Our horn as delivered is way better than the almost horn that was on my trusty
    Valkyrie back in 99. I had to install a set by one of the best mechanics that I have known
    for bikes.
    You wouldpress that button and have to scream as loud as you could.
    Count your blessings my friend.
    Yeah, our OEM Valkyrie horns were pathetic. BigBF solved that problem though.

With lots of bikes the horn upgrade is on the short list, ours is so loud there’s not much interest in upgrades. Might find more info on a full wing forum if there’s nothing here.
    I had an ST1300 with a wimpy horn prior to the B. The ST1300 forum was filled with horn threads, wondered why there weren't any horn upgrades on this site until I hit the button. I laughed out loud because it sounded ridiculous after the squeak that the ST1300 puts out.
    My jacket sometimes catches the switch when stopped and getting something out of the left cubby, kind of embarrassing if I’m in a parking lot.
    The issue with the ST was available current to run a louder horn. Check the circuit for the F6B horn, it may be enough for Stebel if that's your preference.

Things to know about horns ... Big cars sound similar because they too have two horns ... one blows a high note and the other blows a low note. For both horns to work together and not sound out of tune, they are tuned to blow a middle note that is not out of pitch. When a car has a small sounding horn, it is probably because it has one horn. If so equipped, the one horn will be a high pitched horn. Also, 2 horns working together are twice as loud as one horn.

On a GL1800, the high horn is on the left and the low horn is on the right. If one inspects the horns, one horn is stamped "high" and the other "low."

For louder horns that would mount similar to what GL1800's have, one might get something from the light truck world. However, I believe the horns on my GL1800 are louder then the ones on my 2017 Toyota Tacoma. But maybe a Ford, Dodge, or GMC pu have louder ones.