Rode the new 2018 today.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Okay, I still couldn't avoid gushing, but even so here are my observations.

Closing-

I have owned a 1984 GL1200, a 1999 Valkyrie, a 2014 Valkyrie, and a 2016 F6B. I am not even close to the most experienced rider on this forum, but have had the good fortune of riding dozens of more bikes, from dirt and sport bikes and sport tourers of all stripes, to Indians, Yamahas, Triumphs, and Harleys.

This is the nicest bike I have ever ridden. By a decent margin.

The next closest, in my opinion, is the one we all own here. You know that feeling you have on most bikes that you love such and such about the bike, but you wish it had that one thing. This new Goldwing comes the closest, and it's seriously close, to checking every single one of those boxes. I really tried to play down my enthusiasm in writing this, so I didn’t spend the whole review process just beaming, even though you might not be able to tell. But I was thrilled during and after this test ride. I literally laughed out loud like a little kid every time I launched the bike from standstill in sport mode and it tore through the gears. What a bike.

Good job, Honda. Homerun.
    Is it nice enough to justify trading your 2016 F6B?
    2016 F6B
    2011 C14
    2003 C10

Thanks for the riding impression. I've only sat on one thus far. A red Tour 6 spd. My dealer is expecting a Blue DCT in for "Demo" purposes. I went out for a couple hours tinoght on my bike. I stopped by there on my way out to see if they had got the Demo in yet. Nope, but they did have the Blue DCT sitting in the shop. It is already spoken for and was just prepped for it's new owner.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

The DCT really is a game changer. The only drawback is you will not have an excuse to buy new boots as often, since you won't keep wearing out your left toe!

I still like the B

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiDan View Post
    The DCT really is a game changer. The only drawback is you will not have an excuse to buy new boots as often, since you won't keep wearing out your left toe!
    Not if you buy the foot shifter for $540

I will let the test monkeys make the bugs go away.
    I have progressive suspension sitting on the shelf for the next time I can breath as the shop is BUSY for now.

I will be ready for Cortez for sure.
    2015 Matt Grey F6B Deluxe - Gloria
    2011 BMW K 1300S - Stella
    2000 Triumph Sprint ST - Trixie
    2000 Ducati Monster 900 - Monster
    1985 HD FXRS (Still in the Shop as a reminder) - Frita
    1984 HD XLX - The First

Hopefully the aftermarket will come out with competing options for a fraction of the cost (read: reasonable price).

Nice write up. Sorry if I missed it, but could you talk about the riding position? I only recently sat on a later model wing (2015) and was surprised to find the leg room very lacking for someone 6'3". Is the 2018 any better in this regard?

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    Nice write up. Sorry if I missed it, but could you talk about the riding position? I only recently sat on a later model wing (2015) and was surprised to find the leg room very lacking for someone 6'3". Is the 2018 any better in this regard?
    I know this was intended for the OP, but I can field this one...

Yes, the '18 is much better than the '01-'17 full Wing for leg room. I am 2" shorter than you, and I felt cramped on the old full Wing. Not the new one. Plenty of room...but, of course, try before you buy.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    Thanks . Yeah I think the new wing has some more room for the femurs, given that the engine has been moved forward. However, I am 6', 31" inseam, so I have a little more room than you. There was a policeman checking out the bike when I was at the dealership and he was about 6'2", and said that he had a little more trouble getting his foot under the shifter. If you opt for the DCT model, that's a non-issue. As far as reach to the bars, they are a little lower and in a very shoulder neutral position. In any case, try before you buy. . Good luck!

Jason