Rode the new 2018 today.... - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rode the new 2018 today....

I appreciated your opinion of the new Goldwings as it was very well done...I am getting older, and shorter, 5'8 1/2" and the seat on the 2018's is way to high for me. I, like you, love the new models and would buy one in a heartbeat now that I have experienced the ride...But, at almost 79 years old, and getting older, I cannot, in my mind, justify the high cost, low value of the F6B, and the need for a bike with a bunch of "whistles and bells" that I never use and don't need....So, like you and others. I will keep my super running, 2013 with all the "farkle" expense I spent to get it the way I wanted....Regards and ride safe

That is a great point as well, the low value of the f6b's. There is not much there in the way of a trade, or even a sale of it, so it has much more value to me. I figure at best I would get $9,500, meaning a likely balance on a new Wing of close to $18,000-$20,000 after tt&l. I loved the ride of the bike, but not that much. I could probably scratch that itch with a used RT 1200 @ $8,000-$10,000, keep the B and still be way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    .... I could probably scratch that itch with a used RT 1200 @ $8,000-$10,000, keep the B and still be way ahead.
    Now that is great idea....

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    And there just so happens to be a good deal on one near me...

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    I rode the new Goldwings this morning while getting new tires put on the F6B. A buddy was with me, also getting tires on his F6B. Off we go, him on the Tour and me on the Tour DCT. WOW!!! I loved it. It was better than anticipated. Smooth and precise, and so easy to ride. I played with the different modes, and the sport mode is as described, sporty. The tour mode is comfortable, and probably what I would use the majority of the time. Paddle shifting was easy, the screen is nice and large with no problems with glare, the radio is ok, but I usually ride full face wit bluetooth, so I don't see a big issue there for me. The windshield could go a tad higher (I am 6'3"), and there is more wind on the arms/shoulders, but I don't mind that as much as head buffering, which the shield did a good job of stopping. It was nice to be able to lower the shield. Cruise worked great, gear indicator is nice, controls are pretty easy to use, although it took me a bit to figure out how to change the radio stations, but I did. The suspension is excellent. Watching that front end was like watching a sewing machine going up and down. as it is "bouncing constantly, always in motion, but it works well. No diving on hard stops. The exhaust note is nice, a bit of a deep growl, with just a hint of a drone, but nothing I couldn't live with. It's is not like putting after market pipes on the f6b or anything, in fact I had to think about it to realize there was just a slight drone, but there is just a bit. The riding position is higher and more on the bike than "in" it, but it was comfortable. The DCT I rode had a backrest, the tour did not. No backrest is not an option (for me). This felt like a cross between a BMW and a Janpenese bike, in a positive way. I felt like it was the best of both worlds, a feature rich BMW coupled with the Japaense reliability. I really liked, it, and IF I were to get a new bike, it would be the DCT with no hesitation. I just can't make myself spend that kind of money on a motorcycle. Call me old fashioned, but the B runs too well, fits me too well, and I enjoy it too much to "trade up" right now. Honestly, I expected more of a let down getting back on the B, but there was none, as I enjoy the bike so much. The wife is perfectly fine with me getting one, in fact encouraging me to get one, but I just can't do it. Maybe in a couple of years and the price has come down, but I will say that bike was a pleasure to ride.
    everything you said almost describes my reaction after riding exactly, except, IMO, radio at highway speed...horrible...DCT, could not get used to it in 45 minutes, I like to pull in the clutch and glide way to much to ever go DCT. If I had arthritis, DCT, if not...never. good post!!
    When the world seems to be working against you. Drop everything and go for a ride!

Blimey!! I went and looked at a 2013 RT 1200 that is under $9,000.00 I don't 't think I can ride one. The pegs are too high up and set back, like a sport bike . At 6'3", I don't think my knees could take that very long. I don't believe a peg lowering kit would be enough. Another good idea gone wrong.

I wonder if any sales figures have been released for the 2018 Gold Wings? I suspect (without any basis but possibly personal bias) that they aren't selling as well as Honda hoped. If that's true, the desirability of the F6Bs may improve, and the value of our used bikes could go up. Or not.

Yeah I doubt they are selling as good as they thought they would too. Yes I hope our values go up, but after I buy another one for my wife! F6B just continues to surprise me on how comfortable it is, I love it more every single time I ride it

When I look at that North of 20K price tag and see used 2013 deluxe out here brand new for 12K Im thinkin I really like the one I have alot.
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.

SOOOOOO, the 2013 1200RT I was looking at and went and sat on has been there this entrie time, but the dealer (which is mostly a high volume Harley dealer) made it a Manager's Special, knocked another $1200 off of it, and I was still resisting it. Two weeks I've been waiting for that thing to sell. When I looked at it before, my knees were too bent, and I didn't think it would work for me. I went back and looked again today, and remembered on my GS 1200 I could raise the seat, which I could also do on this bike. That helped the knee angle quite a bit, so with lowering pegs I believe this bike will work pretty well for me. The bike has had a tip over, but only the valve cover was scratched a little (the pics were worse than in person) and there are now guards on them. Aside from that it is clean looking with just above normal wear and a few tiny rock dings on the fender. There is an aftermarket exhaust, extra bmw sockets, they are putting a new rear tire on it, and the bike has 30,000 miles on it. It has the soft bags inside the hard bags that look brand new and also the motorad bmw gps, which the salesman didn't know was in the bag. This bike is sweet, and is the blue color I prefer.

Needless to say, I am the new owner of a 2013 BMW 1200RT. The deal was too good to pass up, at $7,700.00. Riding the new GoldWing gave me the bug to buy one and have some goodies (heated grips, seat, esa, electronic cruise and even the gps) integrated into the bike/controls, but this deal should satisfy me for at least a couple of years and obviously made more economic sense. I had an ST 1300 for years and loved it, but was always envious of the goodies on the RT's.