Tough Bike... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tough Bike...

State Farm goes by what the vehicle is being sold for on the used market in Mn. Not Kelly book value. I hope you can get trade value from your insurance co. or better.
    Edit: kbb trade valve for the Minneapolis area is $10,150. If you can verify the extras above what is factory you may gain some $. I was able nickel & dime to the tune of $1,300 for my extras. Every bike I’ve owned I’ve had a 3 ring note book. Told the wife if I have an accident and don’t make it to use the note book. Also told her if she looked in it she’d be up set.ðŸ¤-

It depends on the insurance company, but many will total at 80% of it's estimated value. Basically, for them to fix it means that they are putting all that money out to possibly find out there is unforeseen damage with the frame and when they get it all done, it does not track true and pulls severely to the left ... now what ???

Or, they can hand you a check for its value, sell it as a total for say $5,000, and wash their hands of it. This way they are only out the difference between the value and what they gave you and what they sold the wreck bike for. Often the later is a better option for all.

Weird how insurance works.

Completely unrelated to motorcycles... I had a Nissan truck when stationed ion Germany; got T-boned by another vehicle. My truck's frame was bent and damaged heavily.

The German insurance company gave me the option of fixing it or accepting a total loss payout. I loved that little truck and asked them to repair it; which they did. The repair bill cost more than what the truck was worth.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

$13,800 Plus repayment of Ad Valorem taxes.

Seemed fair to me and made me whole on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
    $13,800 Plus repayment of Ad Valorem taxes.

Seemed fair to me and made me whole on the bike.
    Not bad!!! What you gonna do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Not bad!!! What you gonna do now?
    Not sure. Probably not going to run out and replace it until I sell off what is now an extra Harley touring bike and see what it's like to have just one bike for a while.

It's been 5 years since there were only two bikes in the stable., 10 since there was just one.

Definitely rethinking resuming the daily commute by bike. I've done that for 17 years and have been hit 4 times and lost 2 bikes ss a result. Drivers are worse than ever these days so not sure the juice is still worth the squeeze this close to retirement.

Not sure. Probably not going to run out and replace it until I sell off what is now an extra Harley touring bike and see what it's like to have just one bike for a while.

It's been 5 years since there were only two bikes in the stable., 10 since there was just one.

Definitely rethinking resuming the daily commute by bike. I've done that for 17 years and have been hit 4 times and lost 2 bikes ss a result. Drivers are worse than ever these days so not sure the juice is still worth the squeeze this close to retirement.

Can’t say that I blame you. If I had been hit 4 Times, I would probably call it quits before my luck runs out. Have you ever been hit on the bicycle?

You apparently were a cat in a previous life, and that "9 lives" charm carried over to your present earthly being.

You have 5 lives left. Use 'em

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Can’t say that I blame you. If I had been hit 4 Times, I would probably call it quits before my luck runs out. Have you ever been hit on the bicycle?
    It's the commute thing that's giving me pause; just too many distracted, aggressive and downright poor motorists out there anymore. Yes, back when I rode a bicycle to college and during lunch breaks at work I had a couple encounters. Lots of miles on two wheels in congested, urban areas is definitely more risky than the open road. But, then again, the collisions all seem to occur at slower speeds so there is a trade-off. I look at these brushes of bad luck like Earthquakes: I'd rather have a few little ones than the big one. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    You apparently were a cat in a previous life, and that "9 lives" charm carried over to your present earthly being. You have 5 lives left. Use 'em
    Yeah, well... I'm not giving up motorcycles or bicycles. But, as I said, the commute thing: probably should have kept the S2000 in the stable!