2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Steering Slop/Loose Tie Rod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    More information on the front shock.

Note: The rider is sitting on the bike with his feet on the ground holding up the bike so not all of his full weight is on the bike yet.

Last edited by ths61; 02-21-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post

Note: The rider is sitting on the bike with his feet on the ground holding up the bike so not all of his full weight is on the bike yet.

Yea... this is NOT good.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Another reason to not buy the 1st year of a new model. Let any bugs get worked out. My F6 is not perfect, but it does what I need, and is an all around great bike.

Looks like Max might have a new Traxxion shock for sale pretty soon...for the front AND the back. I'd guess by March or April......if the stock bumper lasts that long. At least it bottoms out into rubber instead of steel. Curious to see what the steering head bearing looks like when he gets around to that disassembly. Could All-Balls be next?
    Last edited by Walcrow; 02-21-2018 at 12:36 AM.

You might be right JM. I've got a 2015 B.....14 years after coming out.....I'll wait for the 2032 Wing. All should be good by then.

I don't understand how the reports of great ride quality from the front end are co-existing with the reports from Traxxion about having 1" of shock travel and the shock bottoming bumper coming into play frequently.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I don't understand how the reports of great ride quality from the front end are co-existing with the reports from Traxxion about having 1" of shock travel and the shock bottoming bumper coming into play frequently.
    How pliable is that new 2018 front shock bumper? Possibly it allows for more shaft travel than we can see?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    How pliable is that new 2018 front shock bumper? Possibly it allows for more shaft travel than we can see?
    It appears the front bumper is acting as an anti-dive valve and coil spring. If so, it will wear quickly.

TD said new shocks won't be expensive, but the labor will because both shocks are buried and require a lot of time to get at them and cover them back up again. That means replacing a worn bumper frequently will rack up the shop labor $$$.
    Last edited by ths61; 02-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.

It appears the front bumper is acting as an anti-dive valve and coil spring. If so, it will wear quickly.

TD said new shocks won't be expensive, but the labor will because both shocks are buried and require a lot of time to get at them and cover them back up again. That means replacing a worn bumper frequently will rack up the shop labor $$$.
    Yep, I think the dealers will love it. They'll see another new Wing come in the service dept and the first thing they say....."We got any more of them bumper things in stock?" .....Six more hours charged back to Mama Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    It's all about ratios and lever arms. My CTX700 has "only" 1.5 inches of shock travel, but because of the 2.5:1 ratio of the shock to swing arm, it gives me a little over 4 inches of travel before bottoming. So having a shock move just 1 inch is really not an issue, and doesn't mean anything without knowing the lever arm ratio to determine what that 1 inch of travel actual means.