Maybe I will just keep this thing...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I will just keep this thing...

Maybe I will just keep this thing...

So, after taking a couple of short, unexpected February rides, I realize that this bike (2013 F6B) is pretty dam comfortable, smooth, powerful, good handling, etc.

To trade or sell and get the full Wing I want (DCT airbag) would probably cost me $20,000 net...not including loss of accessories I have added, and depreciation I have already eaten (of course, you're gonna lose that now, later, or way later).

As I continue to add stuff ... now looking at an aftermarket seat ... I wonder if it is worth it to consider a new bike, even a few years from now.

However...

There is one HUGE omission on my bike that keeps a full Wing, Eluder, BMW, Venture, etc. on the distant radar.

Anti. Lock. Brakes.

When I bought my F6B, I did not realize how much of a lifesaver ABS can be. Just wasn't thinking of it.

So, here is what I am thinking (subject to change 1,000 more times) now...

Get another bike, one with ABS. This could be a significantly cheaper option. If the VStar 1300 Deluxe had ABS, it would be on my short list. Hell, maybe even a Burgman or a Versys 650. Maybe a used Victory?

Anyway, just throwing it out there for thoughts and perspectives.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Mine also are not anti lock which I would prefer. However they are linked and very good, the best I've ever had on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    So, after taking a couple of short, unexpected February rides, I realize that this bike (2013 F6B) is pretty dam comfortable, smooth, powerful, good handling, etc.

To trade or sell and get the full Wing I want (DCT airbag) would probably cost me $20,000 net...not including loss of accessories I have added, and depreciation I have already eaten (of course, you're gonna lose that now, later, or way later).

As I continue to add stuff ... now looking at an aftermarket seat ... I wonder if it is worth it to consider a new bike, even a few years from now.

However...

There is one HUGE omission on my bike that keeps a full Wing, Eluder, BMW, Venture, etc. on the distant radar.

Anti. Lock. Brakes.

When I bought my F6B, I did not realize how much of a lifesaver ABS can be. Just wasn't thinking of it.

Get another bike, one with ABS. This could be a significantly cheaper option. If the VStar 1300 Deluxe had ABS, it would be on my short list. Hell, maybe even a Burgman or a Versys 650. Maybe a used Victory?

Don't forget the V-Stroms(Either size). Very versatile and with the proper mods can take you anywhere comfortably. Wish I would have kept my 650.

However...

Anti. Lock. Brakes.

I think it rather foolish to consider spending thousands of bucks on a new GW just because it has ABS brakes. The linked brake system on the Honda has worked great for several years now and does the job of stopping the bike...I had a Victory Vision with ABS, the thing weighed 900lbs. and did not stop any better than all the other bikes I have owned..The very few times that you might need to "panic stop" on wet or icy roads on a bike is marginal in my opinion...Granted many manufacturers are using ABS now, mostly due to "market ploys" I personally would not worry about the super good brakes on your F6B...If it really bothers you that much "Go For It"....Regards

Agree with Opas... You could get wiped out even with anti-lock brakes in a rapidly disintegrating scenario immediately in front of you. Anti-locks are a accident demultiplier, but not absolute.

As far as keeping the current bike as opposed to the new one with bells and whistles... well I have a 2011 F150 with 39K on the clock. Ain't getting rid of it for the new F150's. My truck is just fine as my F6B.

Let the bunnies work out the kinks in the new G/W's and we can wait for the new improved versions

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Agree with both above....ABS certainly isn't any kind of deal killer for me.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps I will spend a couple hundred of that $20,000 it would cost to upgrade (BTW, would not do this until at least 2020) on an Advanced Rider Course and become a professional brakeotologist. I may have to go out of the region, though...each summer, the local class never gets enough people to sign up (minimum 8) to ever get scheduled.

Has anyone ever tested stopping distance from ___ mph with just the front brake applied (and partially the rear, via linked brakes of course) vs front AND rear applied?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps I will spend a couple hundred of that $20,000 it would cost to upgrade (BTW, would not do this until at least 2020) on an Advanced Rider Course and become a professional brakeotologist. I may have to go out of the region, though...each summer, the local class never gets enough people to sign up (minimum 8) to ever get scheduled.

Has anyone ever tested stopping distance from ___ mph with just the front brake applied (and partially the rear, via linked brakes of course) vs front AND rear applied?

VStar Rider,
    It has been awhile since I last visited the F6B site as I sold my F6B and went back to a Harley with ABS. Although I truly enjoyed the F6B and found the linked brakes good, they still were not up to snuff for a large heavy cruiser making a panic stop on wet pavement. Lost a fellow BK club rider a year ago when the older Harley without ABS that he was on couldn't stop in time on a vehicle that turned out in front of him. Not sure if ABS would have saved him but it sure would have been better odds.

The highways are crowded and getting more so every day and the number of distracted drivers keeps increasing so in my opinion anything you can do to up the odds in your favor is worth the cost. Plus, those new 2018 Goldwings really do look great and with ABS it is worth the upgrade. Wish that Honda would have also put the reverse in the standard Goldwing as I could be persuaded to make the move back to one. BTW, the newer Harleys with the M8 like my 2017 Road King really upped their game as these things ride great and have plenty of power to put a smile on your face every time you roll the throttle.

Keep the shiny side up.

XHarley

My 13 has ABS and in the 4 seasons I've owned it I used the ABS once. And that was me testing it out. Linked brakes are fine IMO but mine came with the ABS . Would not stop me from buying a non ABS bike in general.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

For those thinking of buying the NEW 2018 GOLDWING ....

From what I have read there might be a MAJOR problem just now being reported by a few new owners .... Engine DRONE between 65 - 75 miles per hour.
    If this is the case ..... get out your popcorn

This is a Touring Bike, if I had to be on the Interstate for hours .... I personally would not want a Engine Drone impeding my stereo system and driving me crazy.
    There are complaints about the Fit and Finish....... I am keeping what I have for a while.
    This Engine Drone will not be a easy fix, nope ....... Torq Loops won't help that.

I have not personally test rode one of these, I will WAIT for at least 1 or 2 years. This is a whole NEW Aluminum Engine and I am not ready to plop down money on a unproven engine.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.