Trip planning....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip planning....

Trip planning....

Was curious what you all use for trip planning? I am starting to plan the trip to Colorado and would like to figure out potential stops for sleep and distances. Wish that there was a software program that I could use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Looks like you'll be using I-40 mostly, no sweat, always plenty of places to stay along the way. You can do it in 3, looks like about 1900+ miles from you but why rush, if you have the time take 4. I like to stop and pull the camera out and get some shots. If you go to www.mapquest.com and punch in the directions they'll map it and give you hotels, gas and food along the route (buttons along the top)
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Is there an app or website that allows you to plan your own personalized scenic route, press play, and it takes you along that pre-determined route turn by turn?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I have base camp, don't know all the in and outs of it and probably never will. Have been using Goggle maps for my Cortez trip ...
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Is there an app or website that allows you to plan your own personalized scenic route, press play, and it takes you along that pre-determined route turn by turn?
    Good Sam! I use it for all types of rips. Shows everything you might need on your trip.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

If you have a GPS there are several trip planning softwares available. I have been using Microsoft Streets and Trips for years. Although it is no longer being supported it is still available on E-bay. As with other programs you do your trip planning on your computer then convert it to a GPX file and download it into your GPS. With a little practice you can have the routing take you directly to the front door of your planned motels or campgrounds for each overnight stop. I also usually look at Trip Advisor when trying to choose motels for areas I am not familiar with. If you are looking for a free mapping program check out Harley Ride Planner. It is on the Harley Davidson website and is a little quirky but not hard to learn.

Good luck and see you in August
    Az Wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Was curious what you all use for trip planning? I am starting to plan the trip to Colorado and would like to figure out potential stops for sleep and distances. Wish that there was a software program that I could use.
    I use Microsoft Streets & Trips but it has been discontinued. I think 2015 was the last year, some (very few) roads have changed and although it lists Hotels and Restaurants, ownership may have also changed.
    I don't need an internet connection and in the past would take along my small lap top and could pull the program on the side of the road if I needed. I know all you tech guys may laugh because I don't have a smart phone but that's fine I like my old fashion self......
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

I'm assuming you have to belong to Good Sam before you use the software to plan a trip. I have Garmin GPS and use there BaseCamp.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    We use Roadtrippers.com however many GPS's claim to allow you to build a trip and load it in your unit although I've never gotten one to work. Roadtrippers can be a bit clunky to use but does help you build a route to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    I'm going the first week in July. When are you ?I have been all over Colorado and have some places I want to go see. I may be able to help you plan some if you want.