Looking for a new helmet. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new helmet.

Is that Bell Mag-9 an open face helmet? Looks like just the shield comes down over the face. I tried to buy a Bell half helmet once and even the largest size they make was not large enough. Do Bell sizes run small? Only Cycle Gear and the local Honda shop have any helmets of any quantity on the shelves around here. If they had one I liked and got to fit test I would sure thank them by purchasing from them if within reason. Cycle Gear has pretty good prices anyway and got my last lid from them.

Bell Helmets do run small in size.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Is that Bell Mag-9 an open face helmet?

Yes it is maybe this pic might help a bit. I keep the shield in my side bag but when I use it it covers the whole front and works great in the rain.

I have a large helmet and it fits my head as my brother says my "loaf of bread head"

If you're looking for quiet helmets, I can recommend the HJC RPHA-MAX and the Schuberth C3 Pro. Those are the two quietest modulars I've ever tried. I have tried a lot of helmets for demo rides - I use calibrated 4mm microphones mounted on in-ear plugs, and record the noise level on a 10 minute ride in traffic in-town and on the freeway, ranging in speeds between 0 MPH and 75 MPH. The C3 Pro came in the quietest (around 84 dB SPL peak at 75 MPH, typical 71 dB SPL at 30 MPH in town), and the HJC was just 1.1 dB louder. All others I've tested were at least 3 dB louder than the HJC.

I have exactly the same two brands as ShanghaiDan! Schuberth is the best IMHO of course. Pricey but top shelf. RPHA was my favorite until I made the plunge for the C3. RPHA might be a bit cooler but both are hot down here in FL in the summer. I have had a bunch of different helmets over the last 40 plus years and none come close to the C3 Schuberth.
    Dan is also right on with it being quiet. Much quieter than RPHA and RPHA is pretty quiet. 3dB increase is twice as loud if I remember right.

Good luck with your search.
    WEG

HINT: If you can do it buy a helmet model that is being phased out. In most helmets, they change colors/patterns all the time and the old models are slashed. I always buy these which are slashed 50%.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

Let me also throw my support for the Shuberth C3 Pro. Quiet and good fitting helmet.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Those high dollar lids look really nice and I bet the best in the industry as well as the quietest. I just have a problem paying 5 or 6 hundred for a helmet. Are they really 4 times better than what I'm wearing?

And helmet life span is 5 years according some in the industry and I need more than one helmet so looking at $100 plus per year for just one. And that only if you don't drop it or something. It would be really hard to replace a new 600 dollar helmet if I dropped it the first week of ownership. Yikes! I would though really like to try out that Shuberth C3 Pro sometime.

The 5yr lifespan is the industry's way of avoiding some liability and getting us to buy new more often. I've got a Nolan N35 that I still use occasionally when riding the Rzr. I think it was purchased in "90". I guarantee that it will do more good than some of the buckets/skull caps that you see out there.

I really like some of the modular and full face helmets, I just can't justify the cost for something that will mostly collect dust. We've got 4k people in our whole county, no interstates, and minimal traffic to deal with here. The only time I consider a helmet is a long trip or where it's required and then it's just a bucket.