Looking for a new helmet.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new helmet.

Looking for a new helmet.

Hey all. I hope that asking about helmets isnt like asking about oil. But since there are so many options out there I was just looking for some advice. I currently have a modular helmet thats probably past the expiration date and should update my protection. Ive been looking at the nolan n44 evo and kinda like what Im seeing. Im not too interested in installing comms since I like to get away from it all on the bike. And to be honest, what better excuse not to pick up the phone than "I was out riding".

I think I have a vertically oval head, and even though Ive never had a flip down sun visor I think I'd like to try one. I do wear glasses so not sure if they will get in the way. I have a matte silver '15 and would love to color match as close as possible. Id like to stay around or under $350, but may add a little bit more if its right for me.

Anyways, what are you guys wearing that your impressed with? And any suggestions on what or who I should be look at?

Thanks guys
    Bob

I really like the HJC CL Max 2. Very affordable and comfortable, has a place for ear speakers if you want to add that, the flip up works well and comes in some large sizes that I need. The flat black matched my matt silver B just fine. It does not have an additional tented visor but I tried that once and was not a fan. I think all modulars tend to be a little noisy but this second HJC I have is no more noisy than an expensive Nolan I had once. I change to a half when the weather is warm and I'm not running interstate speeds.

I have Shoei Neotec that is comfortable and has a wonderful drop down visor. The visor is optically perfect, ie no weird distortions. I also wear glasses. I have a pair of sunglasses that can be worn over my glasses AND there is enough space to put the visor down. Double eyeshades come in handy if riding directly into the sun. Definitely pricey, but well worth it. Schubert is supposedly high quality as well, but Ive never owned one. Been a Shoei Guy my whole life. If Shoei ever made a half-helmet with drop down visor, I’d buy one. Go to Revzilla and watch some of their helmet reviews; they’re fairly comprehensive.

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

Shoei or HJC for me...Have Shoei with face shield for colder weather and freeway riding as it is really quiet and fits tight..Use HJC 3/4 open face for summer and local riding times.....Suggest you go a large dealer that sells different brands and try several until can find one you like...Revzilla has a great return policy and will work with you on size and styles.....Good luck

I am a fan of Bell and Shoei. My last three helmets were Shoei and I wear an X-14 now.
    "... there may be more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your philosophy."

2016 Honda Goldwing F6B
    Traxxion Mega Monty

1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
    16K, all original

The Cycle Gear store here has a 30 day return policy. I bought a HJC RPHA 10 from my dealer, wore it 30 miles and it was killin' my skull as it was not the correct shape. Since it was "USED", they would not take it back. I shop Cycle Gear now with plenty of time to make sure the damn thing fits on the long haul.

vertically oval head = Bell MAG-9 Sena Solid Helmet

https://fortnine.ca/en/bell-mag-9-sena-solid-helmet

I have the same challenge and this helmet works great for me. I removed the shield and just use the Drop-down sunshield.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    vertically oval head = Bell MAG-9 Sena Solid Helmet

https://fortnine.ca/en/bell-mag-9-sena-solid-helmet

I have the same challenge and this helmet works great for me. I removed the shield and just use the Drop-down sunshield.

I bough a Bell MAG-9 about a year ago and wore it comfortably for about 8 months. Then the mechanism for the inner drop-down shield started to fail and eventually gave up. But I have to give props to the Bell support staff for painlessly honoring their 5-year warranty on this lid. I emailed them about the problem... they sent a return label. I shipped the helmet back with a copy of the receipt... and they returned a brand new one to me within about two weeks.

I like the styling of the MAG-9... it compliments the F6B. I think it's a comfortable helmet. And the way they integrated the mounting for a Sena 10S is pretty okay.

That's my

Ride safe!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

I went to large store and wore a helmet for a hour to check the fit then purchased it else where for a better price. I like
    the Nolan n-104 only use the sun visor when I'm not wearing my sun glasses. Polerized sun glasses don't mix with visors