Questions about rake and trail

Thread: Questions about rake and trail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thumper, I'm just trying to make the bike comfortable to cruise around on, plain and simple.

And Jm21, what specific adverse effects are you speaking of? My 1999 Valkyrie had 32+ degrees of factory rake on the same wheelbase and, to me, it handled just fine. It wasn't a corner carver, but frankly I didn't buy the F6b to set records in corners. It seems like it's happiest doing 80+ in a corner and holding a fantastic line, which is absolutely impressive, but that's not my style of riding for the most part. I want to be comfortable, and I'd be willing to give up some cornering ability for a more plush ride. Right now I'm just thinking out loud about the various approaches to this, and I appreciate your thoughts and ideas, as well.

Jason

To achieve 32 degrees of rake with same wheel base as the F6B the Valk frame would have to be shorter. If you add more degrees of rake to the B you lengthen the wheel base and lengthen the trail. when you add rake to a motorcycle you lose handling and turning radius. remember back when choppers were all the rage you couldn't turn them around in the width of a street lane. The front wheel no longer turns but flops side to side which affects handling.