Rev range

Thread: Rev range

Rev range

Hey everybody,

I have a question that might seem pretty basic, but I figured I'd ask anyhow. I got my new F6B last weekend, having traded an 08 Yamaha Raider for it. Love the new one, and especially love the difference in handling. The Raider was a lot of fun on the straight roads of South Carolina, but the raked out front sucked on the twisties here in East Tennessee. Anyhow, the question is, what kind of RPM range is the Wing happiest in, especially taking the curves. Thing is, I'm used to having all my torque in the low range, and the wing is chuggy around there. But any higher than 2500 or 3000, I feel like I'm pushing it. I need an idea of what I need to get used to.

Your help is appreciated.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Well, (6) 300 cc cylinders are a lot differnent than (2) 900+ cc cylinders. (My last ride was a Stratoliner.)

The XV-1900 has the advantage in TQ, the 6 in HP. Kinda like a Tractor vs a Turbine,,,

Not gonna hurt the 6 to wring it out a bit, but I understand it does seem a bit 'odd' at first when coming from an XV-1900 powered bike.

You'll get used to it!

I usually keep mine around 3000 rpm. It cruises at like 3500 rpm at 80 mph so between 3-4k is good. Don't be afraid to redline it though. Mine taps out around 65-6800 rpm.

3 or 4 K is NOT pushing it.

I know several people that run them hard and more often on the red line than not playing in the mountains. I don't run mine that hard but it hit's the red line every now and then and I honestly don't worry too much about it. If I can do it on my Harley I am pretty sure this platform will handle it.

Ride it like you stole it! Honda drive trains are, basically, bulletproof. The ECM will protect the engine from over revving. I've ridden Honda road bikes & dirt bikes for over 40 years & I have never had an engine, transmission, clutch or any other drive train failure. Of the numerous bikes I've had, the only failure that I've had is an alternator failure on my '96 Valkyrie, which was repaired under warranty.

Barry

Cool

In the twisty's it is not uncommon to stay around 5K using engine braking for the next curve... +1 Barry
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I rode around for a while using second and fifth gears and wondered why they bothered with the other three. Now I can use all five depending on where and how I'm riding.
    Anybody who thinks a V-Twin has torque needs to try rolling the throttle open in fifth gear from 1200 rpm.

3,000 to. 5,000 rpm for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    3,000 to. 5,000 rpm for me.

4,000 to 6,000 rpm for me, and...all I am doing is trying to keep up with Big Dawg