Corbin Seat installation woes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corbin Seat installation woes

Corbin Seat installation woes

Just got my Corbin seat today and I must say it looks and feels awesome. Purchased at Lone Star Rally, Galveston, TX and shipped to me by Corbin. Very excited.

However I got issues.
    1. The holes in the seat are difficult to line up with the frame mounting holes but I can and did get by that. It just requires a bit of finesse.
    2. I thought the backrest was removable so I could ride in style with no back rest and slip it in for my wife when she wanted to ride. Nope, you gotta remove the seat and screw it down then finesse the seat mounting screws back in.
    3. Oops the right side saddle bag release does not function properly. Take the seat off and fiddle with the mechanism. Seems to work properly with the seat off. Okay, put the seat back on and this time be more careful with the right side. Still does not work.
    4. Remove the seat and install the stock seat. Everything works perfectly. Hmmm.
    5. Remove the stock seat and re-install the Corbin. Same thing, right side saddlebag release is jacked up. It is releasing the cover but not returning to the closed position and the cover will not shut. Force the lever back to closed position and close the cover.
    6. Lets remove the key and go for a ride just to see how the seat feels. Christ, the key will not turn completely to the vertical position so I cannot remove it.
    7. Remove the right seat screws which allows the right side saddlebag release lever to return to the closed position and allows the key to turn to the full vertical position.
    8. I am riding on this seat dammit. Replace the seat screws and lets go for a ride. Son of a B. Partially stripped the threads on the frame.
    9. Stop everything and chase the threads. You know what, screw it. Put the stock seat back on and deal with it later.

After much contemplation and thought it seems that the seat is too wide and rubs against the saddlebag cover release lever preventing it from working properly. Or maybe it is the width of the seat at the screw holes because if do not put the screws in all the way the lever works properly. But, as soon as those screws are tightened the saddlebag levers malfunction.

I will contact Corbin and try to get some help.

Anyone else have similar issues.
    PBlair
    Phil@TexasCycleChrome.com
    2004 GL1800 White
    2012 H-D Ultra Classic Limited Black
    2013 F6B Black

Yep, similar problems with the latch mechanisms, they both work but to function take a couple of pulls on the latch. Difficult lining up the darn bolt holes, Yep, that too, but I am thinking about getting the tapered bolts made just for this problem from Wingstuff. Neither problem however will force me to put the stock seat back on, because I sold it to another forum member!l

I had my Corbin on and off a few times and have zero problems with the saddlebag latches.I do have to adjust the seat a little to get the bolts to line up but that is a no issue as after you start them no problems screwing them in.
    Ride it like you stole it

Same problems, saddle bag latches and alignment off. Finally got mine working like they should. Seat looks great but damn it's hard.
    If it does not get better soon, Mustang here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Same problems, saddle bag latches and alignment off. Finally got mine working like they should. Seat looks great but damn it's hard.
    If it does not get better soon, Mustang here I come.
    How did you get it the latches working properly? I really love this saddle but ain't gonna use it if I can't open and shut the saddlebag lids.
    PBlair
    Phil@TexasCycleChrome.com
    2004 GL1800 White
    2012 H-D Ultra Classic Limited Black
    2013 F6B Black

After owning seven Corbins, the first on a BMW RS, I decided the only thing Corbin had going for them was they look good. Never, ever had one that installed easily like everyone elses. Hope you get the problems worked out. I think the problem with installing them is that there is no flex in their seat pans, and man are they heavy compared to other brands.

I just got a Corbin seat and have a question on the install. Can you tell me if the metal tongue attached with two bolts goes under the bar above the gas tank at the nose of the seat. Mine was not installed that way and after struggling with it, can't seem to get it to go under the bar. Doesn't seem to be sitting high, but if it should go under I can work the bracket some to make it do so. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 52edub View Post
    I just got a Corbin seat and have a question on the install. Can you tell me if the metal tongue attached with two bolts goes under the bar above the gas tank at the nose of the seat. Mine was not installed that way and after struggling with it, can't seem to get it to go under the bar. Doesn't seem to be sitting high, but if it should go under I can work the bracket some to make it do so. Thanks.
    Yes, the metal tongue at the front of the seat, underside, should go UNDER the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by pblair View Post
    How did you get it the latches working properly? I really love this saddle but ain't gonna use it if I can't open and shut the saddlebag lids.
    I actually tried several times to get it right, but every time I tightened the grab handles both latches would either refuse to work, or at least drag and not work as designed. Leaving the bolts slightly loose both latches worked fine. To be totally honest I got pissed off and beat the damn thing into submission. I guess I somehow created more clearance for height at the grab rail side holes. Not by much as you can't see it or really tell but it was enough that they now work fine. My mind set was that I was pissed and the damn thing was either going to work or go in the trash. Really frustrating to me that this seat is difficult enough to remove and install (10 bolts stock with a back rest and rear rack) not to mention the fact that they don't fit correctly. I would also guess one could also relieve the underside of the grab rail slots slightly and pull up on them when installing and accomplish the same result? But I was not modifying the rails to accommodate a seat. The other problem with Corbin is that the seat has to be removed to get the side covers off. Could be as new the sides of the seat where the grab rails bolt on are sticking out too far causing the grab rails to angle down, and after being on a while the contact points will be flattened and the grab rails will be level allowing the latches to work as they are supposed to? I have not had mine back off but I will pull it this weekend to verify.

Sorry about your troubles. I have taken mine off a couple of times and except for the front tab, it goes on easy and no problem with saddlebag latches. I also have the Corbin backrest and yes if you want it locked down at the back for a passenger you have to remove the seat. I just use mine for long distance traveling at the riders position, but bought it so it can be used in the back. My wife has used it with me just inserting it in the slot with no problems. I did cable lock it to the grab rails when we parked. Definitely easier to use than the Honda backrest.