Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    And I thought it was just me. Ha. You solo riders see it all the time. These big groups of 8 or 20 bikes. Until I read this thread I was thinking I was the only solo rider. I have done it and learned quickly its not for me. I feel the most relaxed when I am by myself for sure and love the Solo life on 2wheels. On another note, I was great seeing to F6B's on the road this weekend. A yellow one on 601S in SC and another grey near Harstville SC parked at a restaurant.

I ride with 3 clubs. All slightly different to very different. Solo riding for me is refreshing. As others have sead I set my own time tables, destinations that may change with the next turn, intersection. It gives me the opportunity to explore. Take a road that’s much less traveled. I don’t always turn around when the tar stops. I’ve found really neat little stretches of road that I would never want to lead a group down yet I enjoyed finding it. Sometimes the neat part is at the beginning, sometimes in the middle, sometimes at the end. Some times I can scratch a road off the list or add to my ignore list.

I was on the west coast earlier this summer, riding the 101. Went on a ride that I would never ask others to go with...it started asphalt, roughest pavement, I have ever ridden...went 20 miles and ran into new asphalt..like ok sweet. Another 10 miles I hit gravel and it was not friendly at all, danced for about 20 miles, thinking I should turn around. I hit the back side of the pass (brand new asphalt) and it was the most technical riding I have done in 50 years of riding, made the tail of the dragon look like a kiddy ride. And I was alone, not a car in sight for 35 miles...the only problem was, I came to a t-intersection...and went to the right. Later that day, I met an older indigenous man, and told him where I was. His eyes light up, he said son you are lucky to be alive...I later figured out I was in the Golden Triangle...no wonder I smelled skunk all the time...LOL

Amen...you define where, when, how long and do what you want on the road without others input and whining...definately good for the soul!!

I have one friend I ride with when ever I'm in his neck of the woods.
    If I'm out front he's a quarter mile behind me. If I'm bringing up the rear I understand why
    he is so far back.
    I like riding with others but while doing so I still like my room.
    And I have seen it a lot now that I look for it.
    We are such a divided nation with all the BS going on in politics. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it doesn't help.
    I think we are seeing something here that hasn't yet defined itself.
    Or, maybe its always been here.
    It is healing for me to be with friends,,, at a distance.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I have one friend I ride with when ever I'm in his neck of the woods.
    If I'm out front he's a quarter mile behind me. If I'm bringing up the rear I understand why
    he is so far back.
    I like riding with others but while doing so I still like my room.
    And I have seen it a lot now that I look for it.
    We are such a divided nation with all the BS going on in politics. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it doesn't help.
    I think we are seeing something here that hasn't yet defined itself.
    Or, maybe its always been here.
    It is healing for me to be with friends,,, at a distance.
    Intersting spin on the solo riding vs. divided nation/politics...

I'll dovetail, but in a different way:
    I think those of us who were raised to be independent and self-sustaining ("first born behavior characteristics") tend to enjoy our alone time more than those of us who were raised in a more dependent lifestyle.
    Most military pilots are first born males - nothing against women or second/third born, just a fact.
    We have had to develop a sense of humor dealing with life and situations when no one was around to support us, or perhaps, our parents were letting us develop on our own rather than hovering and making sure we got a participation trophy.
    Bottom line - we know how to amuse ourselves.
    We don't need "social media" to define our worth and maintain a false self-confidence.
    We don't need politics, television, talking heads (not the band), and sports affiliations advising us on our lifestyle.

We have the best bike ever.
    We - from what I've seen at the rallies - are all mostly very responsible riders and we enjoy getting better.

I think it's always been there.
    It has been passively tolerated until recently.
    Change is imminent and cyclical.

Time for that second cup of coffee....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Intersting spin on the solo riding vs. divided nation/politics...

I think it's always been there.
    It has been passively tolerated until recently.
    Change is imminent and cyclical.

Time for that second cup of coffee....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I'm wondering what you got in that coffee, bubba

There is something that is refreshing to the soul when I ride alone. No GPS. Shut the cell phone off. Get out of town and just go exploring.

And the F6B is the tool for doing just what suites me. With an iPod 160 in the saddle bag, filled with 70's Rock and connected to a pair of Shure 215 earbuds lets me totally enjoy the road. Many times I will head out on a Friday and not return home until late Sunday night.

Riding with someone, even my wife as a passenger, always becomes a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    I'm wondering what you got in that coffee, bubba
    Retired life doesn't suck.....

This has been a great thread . . . kudos to STRaider for getting it rolling. Have done it all like everyone else has likely ... short solo, long solo and large groups (last time 15 bikes -- well spaced out) which is an experience one should encounter as few times as possible. To me it's total serendipity when you find a riding partner who has desire for same pace, same habits for stops -- photography, air museums and the like -- and who you can talk with over pie at the cafe. So hard to find but so great when you do. Doing more solo these days myself and learning to enjoy it more and more.