Quote Originally Posted by Fourks View Post
Well, What are you doing with those college kids? I sent one to college and she came back ruined. The one that stayed home and got a job is doing much better and already owns a home and a good steady job. I mostly caulk it up to immaturity, and all those ideas they are teaching our kids. I just think we should be supportive of the next gen, they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.
Wife is in Grad school - again. She teaches grad school also. She sees all this.
Did you know a Master's program "Full-Load" is only SIX credit hours a semester??? SIX??? This is why these kids are dying. Too much time on their hands and too many semesters ($$$$) to complete their 'education.'

Both my daughters went to good colleges, (Rensselaer Poly and Penn State) both got dual majors and dual minors in a 4 year program, and worked part time. Upon graduation, they were both debt free (scholarships, job, and work-study) and outright owners of their cars (I helped a bit here) and had money in their checking accounts. Both are currently working, doing well, supporting themselves. The elder is in IT and making more money than I ever did. The younger is in education and not making as much but she's happy. Neither have ever asked to move home nor asked for a "grant" - but they know if there's an issue, we'll work something out.

Kids (and people in general) will "push the envelop" and try and do as little as possible. "If the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum, right?"
Setting reasonably high expectations and HOLDING THEM ACCOUNTABLE is where parents - in general - are failing miserably these days.
Now granted, someone with an IQ of 70 is not going to do what my kids did, and they are probably never going to have the disposable income to buy a $35,000 motorcycle and we probably wouldn't want them on a motorcycle in the first place.
My younger daughter, after her first few days at PSU, called home and said "Thank you for not raising me like 6 year old." She was amazed and disgusted at the girls who HAD to talk to mommy several times a day for hours at a time. I don't want that dependency on a bike either.

Fourks - they may HAVE the weight of the world on their shoulders, but they are seriously ill equipped to deal with it.
e07.jpg

I will support those who want to make a difference, make good choices, and not play silly games.
I will NOT support what I term "willful ignorance" stemming from emotional trials & tribulations.