Madstad!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madstad!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Madstad!

Finally got my Madstad installed. So far so good. I had one before on my HD RG, but all adjustments needed tools, this one is nice, knobs make it toolless adjusting.
    Attachment 3170
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Is that an 11 or 13?

Almost wondering how much loss of helmet ventilation one may experience with such a set up, meaning, I usually run with the very top of my helmet in the 'blast' coming over a conventional shield. lotsa top ventilation with not a lot of disturbance/buffetting.

As I understand it, the airflow behind the Madstad is still there, but at a reduced velocity/smoother,,,

Is the air still moving fast enough to have ventilation comparable to what I've described above, or???

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Is that an 11 or 13?

Almost wondering how much loss of helmet ventilation one may experience with such a set up, meaning, I usually run with the very top of my helmet in the 'blast' coming over a conventional shield. lotsa top ventilation with not a lot of disturbance/buffetting.

As I understand it, the airflow behind the Madstad is still there, but at a reduced velocity/smoother,,,

Is the air still moving fast enough to have ventilation comparable to what I've described above, or???
    With the Madstad you can adjust to get any amount of airflow you want over the top of your helmet. Also,of course, open or close helmet vents as desired. Adjust for cold or warm weather rides as the need may be. I really like mine a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    With the Madstad you can adjust to get any amount of airflow you want over the top of your helmet. Also,of course, open or close helmet vents as desired. Adjust for cold or warm weather rides as the need may be. I really like mine a lot.

Yeah mine is the 11". I can drop it down so wind is 1/2 in my face or move it up and wind @ 80mph is 2" over my lid. At the highest adjustment, I still look way over it. Should be perfect for AZ...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Bruce/Chip, thanks for the feedback!

Chip,,, How tall and what inseam? All arrows for me are pointing towards a 15 'stad, but would like to get by with less if possible,,,

Only 6-0 here, but all torso with 30 inseam and a RDL seat that moves me a bit higher,,,,,

I am 5'10'' and slouch, 30 inseam. I wouldn't get the 11" if you u are any taller. I would say to follow what the website says...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Madstad windscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Yeah mine is the 11". I can drop it down so wind is 1/2 in my face or move it up and wind @ 80mph is 2" over my lid. At the highest adjustment, I still look way over it. Should be perfect for AZ...
    The Madstad windscreen looks interesting. The entire unit is forward of the stock windscreen? Would this provide more clearance for a set of Heli-bars?

Thank you!
    Lucas, in AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    The Madstad windscreen looks interesting. The entire unit is forward of the stock windscreen? Would this provide more clearance for a set of Heli-bars?

Thank you!
    Lucas, in AZ
    Maybe? Haven't seen the helibars on a bike yet. The outer shield is mounted on 9 or 10 inch inner "shield".
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Finally got my Madstad installed. So far so good. I had one before on my HD RG, but all adjustments needed tools, this one is nice, knobs make it toolless adjusting.
    Attachment 3170
    Chipmaker,

Looks like you got the shorter 8" Base Shield (as measured from the top of the Base Shield to the base of the faring gasket)? Also looks like you have the Outer Shield adjusted almost all the way UP, is that correct and is this your preferred shield position for best wind protection?

As pictured is the top of the Outer Shield approximately 12" above the base of the faring gasket?

From the gasket to top of base = 7". After riding a bunch yesterday, shield is now at 11.5".
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King