Did a run last summer to California from Ohio and back. Went a Southern route out and Northern on the way back through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Bear Tooth Pass, Idaho, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Sturgis, etc.

If you decide to drop down South, on the way back, two real "Don't Miss" areas are Bryce Canyon and Zion! Mind blowing! If you do Zion, ride the roads on the back side of the Park Untraveled, twisties and beautiful.

It is "cool" on the top of Bear Tooth even in July. When I came across, the road at the very top of the mountain was gravel and mud for about 7 miles. If you want some real fun coming down the Pass into Red Lodge, shift into neutral and just coast! Super quiet and not traffic in the evening. You can get from the top into Red Lodge without ever having to hit the throttle; just the brakes.

If you stay in Red Lodge, that little red caboose diner at the end on main street is a nice little local place to grab a quick bite. Do make sure you gas up in Red Lodge if you go back to Yellowstone because there is a lot of road and one little gas station in Cooke.

Be prepared to wait a LOOONG time in Lamar Valley because all traffic is controlled by buffalo. They have fun just standing in the middle of the road and backing up traffic for a hour or until they decide to move on. They figure this is their back yard and you are just passing through. I was surrounded by a heard of them on the bike and they just rolled their eyes toward me and stood there while a calf had a road snack with it's mama! Turned the bike off and just waited and waited. Didn't dare want to "hurry them on", they are massive!

If you have time, Cody is a nice way to get back into Yellowstone from Red Lodge via the Chief Highway.

It is a GREAT ride!