Curious about your thoughts...

Thread: Curious about your thoughts...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Many MANY years ago ( like...1976-77 approx).....

I had just purchased a brand new Triumph Trident. I'd had it probably 5 or 6 weeks at this point. I was westbound on I-70, just east of the Colo/Kan state line. It was one of those few days when there just wasn't a lot of traffic. Hardly ever see that any more...but back then it did happen from time to time.

I was tooling along about 65 or 70 having a great time. An 18-wheeler overtook me from behind, and as he passed me the driver waved. I waved back and thought nothing of it. After passing me, the driver changed lanes in front of me and we went probably 8 or 10 miles like that....him in front and me drafting behind. After that 8 miles or so...the truck changed lanes again back into the lefthand lane and reduced speed. Not drastically reduced, just enough that I slowly slid up abeam and was clearly going to end up in front eventually.

I could see the driver clearly in his right side mirror. You could tell that he saw me and was keeping track of where I was. As I came almost abeam of the hitch.....this clown changed lanes on top of me. Not easily...not slowly....it was rapid and clearly deliberate.

In order to avoid getting caught under the trailer (or worse....his wheels) I had no other choice but to dive into the ditch. The trucker kept going and, as best I could tell, didn't even slow down to check. Luckily, there was enough bike parts (and tents parts, and sleeping bag parts and etc) next to the road that when someone came along later they realized what happened and stopped to help.

It totaled my brand new Triumph and very nearly totaled me. Try veering off into a VERY deep ditch at 70 and you'll get the idea. I spent the summer and most of the fall recovering from my injuries.

SO......here we are, now almost 45 years later. To this day, I do NOT ride an interstate (or ANYTHING 'limited access', in town or out) if I can at all avoid it. I will if I HAVE to....but I'll bail to the US and State highways first chance I get. (besides....the scenery is much better there anyway. Superslabs are boring as hell).

On US and State highways, I'll go like a bat outa hell and won't think twice about it. But, on an interstate, I'll drive at a speed that ensures everyone else is going to pass me quickly and keep on going. Very rarely will you see me going over 60...usually I'm down around 55. I get needled about it a lot (and there are a few who refuse to even ride with me because of it)...but I don't really give a crap. Those guys didn't spend months wondering if they were going to be able to even walk again, much less ride.

I realise that all this is an adventure in paranoia...but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I have issues over it all...and I always will. I have yet to not be able to go anywhere I wanted with out a slab. Just takes a little longer. Besides, as I said.....the scenery is more interesting anyway. Not to mention a lot less fast food and more REALLY great mom and pop diners.

....sT
    Last edited by SimonTemplar; 04-10-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---