Bargain Beemer

Thread: Bargain Beemer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So I stopped by the semi-local BMW/Ducati dealership this weekend to check out the following:

> K1600 GTL
    > K1600 B
    > R18 (Base and Touring)

Following are some of my observations:

> K1600 GTL: Of course, very nice scoot... features galore and I know the engine is a beast. BUT... I'm 5' 10" and my build and inseam have me "tippy-toes" when off the side stand (mimicking stopped at a stop light). I guess I could have the seat customized to drop a bit in the saddle, but even with that, the riding position relative to the foot pegs would get even a tad "tighter" although there is a bit of adjustment that could fine-tune the riding position. Mounting the scoot is also a case of step on the left foot peg and stand-up to get enough clearance to swing my right leg over the saddle (and clear the rear top case).

> K1600 B: Same as above... although w/o the rear top case, "throwing a leg over is a lot easier.

> R18 (Base and Touring): OK.. so I can be flat-footed at a stop... but boy, this is one heavy scoot when taking it off the side-stand. And... ergonomically, not a great fit (for me, YMMV) when dealing with the two massive cylinder heads and the peg position. Reminded me a lot of riding position when I've ridden Harleys.... a bit "close-coupled" for me. And the full-dressed touring model was stickered at $32K+!

All this said, all are beautiful examples of fine engineering and design. I'm going to stay with my F6B.

F6B SW-WA 5R12.jpg
    Last edited by OlyF6B; 01-19-2022 at 11:25 AM.