Eclipse

Thread: Eclipse

Eclipse

This board is so quiet that I might as well post something. Is anyone travelling to watch the eclipse? Or does anyone live in the path? I drove to Nebraska to watch it in 2017 and it was more impressive than I expected.

I live in Indy, direct hit. Weather forecast looks decent, partly sunny and 60, might even go for a ride that day and take my paper glasses.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

1750 Mile Eclipse Trip

After watching the last total eclipse 2017, I didn't want to miss this one as the next is many years away. Weather forecasts were cloudy in many locations so I drove to El Dorado, Kansas Sunday night to have a choice of Missouri or Arkansas on E-Day. Weather looked good in both states Monday morning, but AR had much more traffic so I chose MO. Willow Springs was my target town, on the edge of totality, but only for 16 seconds! Driving just 15 miles to West Plains added over 3 minutes so that's where I parked.

It was even better than 2017 since it lasted significantly longer. And returning through Mark Twain National Forest and some of Route 66 made the trip even better.

Moments before.

Totality.

Wind in Western Kansas closed part of I-70 on Sunday, which is why I didn't ride.

Boots Court is a restored Route 66 motel in Carthage, MO.

We had great weather and total eclipse here in Indy. I must say, pretty cool.
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Over the years I saw a few partial eclipses and thought they were interesting, but not spectacular. Then in 2017 the path of totality was only a four hour drive away in Nebraska, so I decided to make it a day trip. At first it was about what I expected as the sun became a tiny sliver and daylight faded. But totality was far beyond what I expected. The wind calmed, the temperature dropped, and there was a sunset in every direction. There was a grade school class standing a few feet away and they sounded like it was the first day of summer vacation.

After that, I knew I had to make it to this one.

Glad you folks got to see, pretty cloudy here in the pan-handle. We were only at a 60-80% to see with the path / direction. There were some occasional glimpses though. Really cool