Scott, I believe that the issue is..........on these bikes the instrument cluster mounting has a very specific backside center mount, that needs to be inserted into a very specific hole, and if someone has taken your bike apart....anyone...and has not reinstalled the instrument cluster with absolute accuracy, then it would cause the cluster to stick out further...closer to the rider, which also means closer to the surrounding trim, and it would rattle or bump going over potholes.

This specific mount I am speaking of is easy to see. It is on the very rear of the instrument cluster, and is almost dead center on the rear/backside. It needs to be inserted into the fairing frame mount hole, so that it allows the instrument cluster to seat all the way in....and to keep it from moving up and down. Yes....in answer to all those who have ever removed the cluster, those 4 bolts with 8mm heads on them should stop the instrument cluster from moving at all, but if it is not seated correctly, then it will make a noise, and will sit too close to the surrounding trim.

It is SO easy to check, and see if it is done right, that if I were you, I would simply remove the dash......remove the 4 bolts with 8mm heads that hold the instrument cluster in palce, and gently lift the cluster up and out. You will then see the center mount that is protruding out of the backside of the cluster.
Reinstall the cluster, making certain that this protruding mount is indeed inserted into the fairing frame mount hole, and then reinstall all the 4 bolts, and the dash trim.