Question about backing the F6B
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about backing the F6B

Question about backing the F6B

I'm 58 years old/young, currently ride a Honda VTX1300R and have had a total left knee replacement. The knee is strong and I do not limp from the surgery or even feel it. I am strongly thinking about getting a F6B if I can have it painted prior to picking it up and my main question is, how hard is it to back up by pushing it with your legs? I know the Goldwing has reverse but I prefer the look of the F6b over the wing. Thanks for your thoughts!

On flat ground its no more difficult than my previous bike, which was 250lbs lighter. If I mess up and park in a spot that is downhill its a whole different story.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    I'm 58 years old/young, currently ride a Honda VTX1300R and have had a total left knee replacement. The knee is strong and I do not limp from the surgery or even feel it. I am strongly thinking about getting a F6B if I can have it painted prior to picking it up and my main question is, how hard is it to back up by pushing it with your legs? I know the Goldwing has reverse but I prefer the look of the F6b over the wing. Thanks for your thoughts!
    It has been far easier to back up than I thought it might be. I have yet to run into a situation I couldn't easily pedal out of from the saddle, but obviously it's not impossible to go wrong. Like with any bike, you need to mind where you park--but I don't think you need to be too concerned about it.

StepBill, it is quite easy to back up the F6B. First, it weighs less than a normal Goldwing. Second, the OEM seat height is lower than a nornal Goldwing. Third, with no trunk on the back, it is easy to see behind you

A more important piece of imformation that you left out is...what is your inseam? That makes a difference on planting the feet, and getting a good footing for backing the bike up. If you are 5'9" or taller, and have a 29" inseam or longer, than you will be fine for backing this bike up.

Oh, I forgot.....Hi, StepBill, and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    StepBill, it is quite easy to back up the F6B. First, it weighs less than a normal Goldwing. Second, the OEM seat height is lower than a nornal Goldwing. Third, with no trunk on the back, it is easy to see behind you

A more important piece of imformation that you left out is...what is your inseam? That makes a difference on planting the feet, and getting a good footing for backing the bike up. If you are 5'9" or taller, and have a 29" inseam or longer, than you will be fine for backing this bike up.

Oh, I forgot.....Hi, StepBill, and welcome to the forum
    I'm really tall at 5'9" 1/2 and my inseam is 29". Sounds like a winner!

I'm old and tired at 66, vertically challenged at five eight with tired legs and find the F6 to be no more difficult to handle than any other big bike, actually easier...................just mind where you park.

If I ever get into a spot where I can't back my bike while I'm on the bike, I just get off and just walk it while standing along side it. I find it pretty easy.

I'm almost mid 50's with a damaged right knee, 5'10" on a good day, with a 30-32 inseam.

This F6B is much easier to back up than my last bike, (1997 Yamaha Royalstar 1300). I stay aware of how I park and pay attention to inclines. As was already mentioned, the seat height and low center of gravity make this bike seem easier to back up. Now, parking nose down or on grass may be quite a different story.
    I was VERY suprised how easy this bike moves being so much heavier than my last bike.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
    Hi, neighbor! I've over here near Winston-Salem. I hope this works out for you to join our F6B group. Solid advice given so far on this thread, BTW. I have a 30" inseam and the only trouble I've had backing so far has been on inclines (no matter how small) and gravel surfaces. On level, paved surfaces, you should have no trouble at all. Like others have mentioned, you do need to be extra careful and think ahead when choosing a parking spot.

I echo Hornblower - if there is any amount of incline or a small bump the bike shows it's weight and is hard to back up. I'm 5'11 32 inch inseam and a pretty strong guy. As others have mentioned, proper planning when parking makes this a non issue.

Or have the other riders that will be gathered around checking out your ride give you a hand! not that kind of hand.......