Question about backing the F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about backing the F6B

The first thing you think off when pull into a parking is is how am i going to get out go here!!! The reason I installed reverse in my 03 Ultra !!! With that toy it does not matter…the bike will go backwards at 40 MPH….. now the F6B , for me is very easy to back up even when I have my trailer attached. Like every thing else a little planning goes a long way!!!

Welcome to the board !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Always park facing uphill. Then gravity will help you back up.

Park up hill, up hill.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

I'm 65, 5'10". I've owned a VTX1300R and like all V-Twin cruisers the weight is up high. With our flat six the weight is low. I find it easier to walk this bike than most cruisers and sport tourers I've owned.
    Frank Ferrante
    2013 F6B Black Deluxe
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

I am 74 years old, 5'9" with barely a 29"inseam and have no real issues backing up..Easier in my driveway as it is slanted downward. I put 1/2" higher soles/heels on my boots when I had my 900lb. Victory Vision, as it was a little tough to back up and move..The F6B is no problem for me so far and is much easier to backup/move than my other bike...Just be careful where you park and choose a spot that is not difficult to get out if possible.....No real pressure on the knees that I can see......

Artiste Extraordinaire Elin in So. Cal.'s Avatar

4,287 miles, but it will be parked for two weeks soon.

I'm 5' 4" tall on a good day, and I can back the bike as long as there isn't an obstruction to stop the rear wheel. That means when I pull into the garage, I have to be sure not to stop where the asphalt drive has this itty bitty bump before the cement of the garage. I rocked that F6B six times before I had enough gumption to get it over that 1/2 inch spot of asphalt. Dang!

So I always am mindful of where I park, and make a point of having any downhill either on the way forward to clear space, or behind me to make the rolling out of a spot easier. So far I haven't had to ask for help. I'm seriously not above doing that!
    "If it moves, paint it."

Backing up is not a big issue for me. It is leaning it over on the kick stand that I forgot to put down that creates my problems. cueman

Learning to ride the bike to match your mechanics is the key. Planning ahead and using gravity are two of the tools that help make light work backing big bikes. Using small steps as you move the bike is helpful too - sandy surfaces will not be your friend.

My limitation is that I also have a right knee that is easily injured. As long as I remember the mechanics of the knee and the physics of moving the mass, I seldom find myself in a difficult situation. The couple of times that it a has happened, I ask a stranger if they could give me a push and they happily helped me. I've done the same over the years for a few riders who couldn't quite muster the power to overcome the angle.

-R

EASY

But go to your local Honda dealer and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    Always park facing uphill. Then gravity will help you back up.
    After I got my F6B there where're and still are so many things I had to learn and parking was a big part. It makes it kind of hard (but not imposable) for me to do with one hand. So one of the things do I back in on the down hill side