windshield, aesthetics vs function
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windshield, aesthetics vs function

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Framen View Post
    Joe,

I believe that you will find a significant difference between the Madstaad and the KW.

When you install the Madstaad base plate to the motorcycle, I suggest that you put Loctite on the three mounting fasteners. You will not want to access them again later if it can be avoided. There are several good videos available that describe the Gold Wing windshield replacement; the F6B process is similar.

The Madstaad might require some trial and error to get the best adjustment for you. When you get to speed, with your left hand, find the airflow coming off the left side of the windshield. I believe you'll find that it's blowing to the outside of your shoulder. If the airflow coming over the middle of the Madstaad is hitting you below the top of your helmet, you should be able to easily adjust the 11" shield to push that airflow over your head.

With the Madstaad, it seems to me that the airflow is more affected by the angle adjustment than the height adjustment. You'll quickly get it figured out. Good luck!

allen
    Allen,

Thank you very much for information, and the tips as well, I appreciate it. I always use a small amount medium strength Loctite for peace of mind. I do hope, and believe their is going to be a significant difference between the 2 after reading the entire "Madstad for F6B" thread as well. Thanks very much for your reply as well as the good luck! I'll post my impressions after getting the correct adjustments…can't wait! BTW, it sounds like you've had experience with the KW before, is this correct? If so, can I assume you felt the same as I do about it?

Thanks again,
    Joe

Well, I've spent the last 2hrs riding/adjusting the 11" MadStad, and at this point, I'm not too satisfied with its performance being I'm still getting buffeting at the top/back and sides of my helmet at ear level. I'm going to go out again later and hope to have better results. I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet after reading all of the positive posts.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    Well, I've spent the last 2hrs riding/adjusting the 11" MadStad, and at this point, I'm not too satisfied with its performance being I'm still getting buffeting at the top/back and sides of my helmet at ear level. I'm going to go out again later and hope to have better results. I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet after reading all of the positive posts.
    Get a 13"

I have one and it works pretty good.

I'm going to get a 15" for the colder months.

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat... if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Get a 13"

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat… if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt
    I appreciate the input, but I'm 5'8" and have the stock seat and I would have an issue seeing over the 13". I extended my 11" all the way this morning (still experimenting) and the top of the shield was directly in my vision…not good.

Spent another 2hrs this morning to no avail, again. I may be expecting too much from reading impressions on the MadStad, but unfortunately at this point I'm really not impressed in any way with its performance. I can't even get a nice steady flow of air, and I still have the same buffeting at ear level. Back too the drawing board this evening.

Thanks,
    Joe

I loved the stock shorty also. Suited me to get some wind in my face and the weather wasnt a problem. Then I took a trip down south. The bugs kept me blind. I had a Klockwerks installed for the trip back and have loved it since. Better for the stereo,fun watching the bug execute themselves at the top of the flip. I still get some wind(full helmet with the visor up and shades) but thats ok.

Another Option

Hi Folks

I ride with an HJC RPHA modular helmet. Stock shield pretty noisy above 55-60 made hearing stereo impossible. Added Memphis Shades Hot Wing extension now stereo is fine up to 80 or so.
    I'm 5' 8" stock seat see over the shield and Hot Wing. Works for me. YMMV

Ride safe
    WEG
    ATGATT

Circle-5
    On day-1 I switched to the Honda "tall" windshield P/N 08R70-MJG-670 (plus the vent) because I think it looks best on the F6B. I'm exactly 6.0ft. tall, and it also allows me to looks either above or below the top, which is perfect. I added two screws with OEM spacers in the empty mounting holes, for a total of five – not sure if that helps, but it can't hurt.

I love driving my convertible with the open top and the air conditioning at full blast on hot California days. I wish the F6B had air conditioning as well, but I suppose that might be just a bit impractical ...

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Get a 13"

I'm 5'10" and I have an Ultimate King seat… if you are interested in my metrics behind the Madstadt
    I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by doubleh View Post
    I decided to try the 13" which I'm going to try before throwing in the towel on the MadStad, which I ordered a couple of days ago. Hope it works, as I do want some wind protection without buffeting, otherwise I think I'm just going to put the stock shield back on, this way I'll at least have a direct/steady stream of air. Thanks for the advice!

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Aftermarket windscreen

About two weeks after bringing the bike home and after much research on this site and other resources I decided on an F4 Customs 16" clear with Honda vent installed. I'm 5'10" and have the stock seat for now. I'm very pleased with this setup. I look through the screen about 2"-3" from the top. Usually run the vent one click open as it gives a little air to me and provides almost zero buffeting and back pressure. If opened fully or one click from fully open it gives very good air movement to helmet vents and my chest. ( I wear a Shoei Quest ). Clean with a cotton towel and Meguire's Quick Detailer. Cleans up crystal clear with no scratches whatsoever after several months of use. Kind of pricey but well worth the investment.