Opinion: Repair or replace?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: Repair or replace?

Opinion: Repair or replace?

Picked up a huge nail (pic attached) in my stock rear tire on the way home from work yesterday. Had to pull over due to the thumping, and took some effort to get it out. It went in near the centerline of the tire, and definitely penetrated as I have a flat now.

Opinion: Take the tire to a shop for plug/repair, or simply replace the tire? I have ~3500 miles on it. Owner's manual recommends replace versus fix, but damn, only 3500 on this tire, seems like they could easily plug it.

Also, based on what the web offers, looks like it's relatively easy to lay the bike on the right side and remove/replace the tire, at least on GL1800's. Any issues doing this on the F6? Thoughts? I don't have a lift in my garage.

Attachment 4136

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    Picked up a huge nail (pic attached) in my stock rear tire on the way home from work yesterday. Had to pull over due to the thumping, and took some effort to get it out. It went in near the centerline of the tire, and definitely penetrated as I have a flat now.

Opinion: Take the tire to a shop for plug/repair, or simply replace the tire? I have ~3500 miles on it. Owner's manual recommends replace versus fix, but damn, only 3500 on this tire, seems like they could easily plug it.

Also, based on what the web offers, looks like it's relatively easy to lay the bike on the right side and remove/replace the tire, at least on GL1800's. Any issues doing this on the F6? Thoughts? I don't have a lift in my garage.

Attachment 4136
    Alot has been said! I pluged my flats for years before all the "experts" said it was a bad idea. Plugs get you home. The rubber type will pop out in time. Fiber will stay and may leak in time. A patch would be indicated depending on the size of the puncture item. Large nail or something like it may break a cord in the tire. If this happens, relpace the tire. Sorry it is your call.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Nothing wrong with a properly repaired tire.

I have done both replaced and or repaired depending on the location of the puncture. If in the center as you said, I would let a competent shop perform a proper repair. I have had very good luck with the "patch / plug" type plugs that have the round head attached to the plug.

Sorry to see that. It seems you have the same luck as I. My bike went though 3 tires in a year's time picking up the same hardware you did. You can leave the bike on its centerstand, take off the back fascia and remove the wheel that way,it's not too hard.

Russ, I always carry a Stop n' Go plug gun kit in my saddlebags, so that if or when this ever happens, I can plug my tire, and be on the way.

I have a lot of experience plugging tires, and it can either work...or not...depending on if it is done right...or not. I used to tell people to save one of their old tires...and use it as a practice tire, to practice plugging tires, over and over again, until you become comfortable and confident in the practice.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3915-s...?from_search=1

Once you get home, then is the time to make the decision as to whether to replace the tire, or keep on using it. I know...opinion differ, but on some ocassions I have used a plugged tire for 5K more miles.

YMMV

Been plugging mc tires since I been riding. Never had a problem. Of course that depends on where the hole is too.

Replace the tire, a plug is a temporary fix to get home or to the closest shop if your on a trip. It's not worth thinking or worrying about on future rides and if someone else rides with you you surely wouldn't want to put them in jepordy. I use my Goldwing for long trips and I switched to a car tire because I was tired of flats.

replace the tire
    Ride it like you stole it

Once I had just installed a new rear tire on ST1300 shortly thereafter picked up a sheet metal screw. Used the "mushroom" type plug and it lasted the life of the tire..........that plug took from Texas to Canada and back. Like they say its your call, there are many that go with repaired tires and back in the day that's all we did.

I have plugged lots of them. Lot depends on the tire, where it is at and how big.
    I got a nail in a rear on my Valkyrie once with 500 miles on it, plugged it and rode on it another 11,000 miles.
    Always keep a repair kit in all the bikes.
    Some people are cautious and will not do it, I just use caution.
    It's your call.