Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
Copy. That sounds like the testing for the stamp of approval....

What happens here in my portion of PA, New Hope to be specific, is the nice policeman will pull you over at a "Motorcycle Only Checkpoint" and ask to see your license, registration and proof of insurance. Meanwhile, you haven't been told what the matter is. He will then take his "calibrated" dB meter, put it at a "standard distance" (which varies from one badge to another) and take the loudest reading he can get and then cite you.
My specific story:
I had North Carolina plates (legally - out of state military) on the FLSTN and I got the "Boy, you pretty far from home, ain'cha?"
I responded, "No, sir, about 7 miles or so from my home."
He comes back with "What are these NC plates doing here?"
I then informed him that I am military, currently residing out-of-state, and produced my Military ID. The military ID sticker on the windshield 'escaped' him.
He then asked if I was a Reservist, and I pointed to where it said Active Duty on the ID in his hand.
He then said "Oh, a Lieutenant Colonel? Marines? You must think you're something special, doncha? Well up here, we have noise regulations and your pipes are too loud."
I asked him for the dB reading and what the statute limits were for this area. I asked him if the dB meter was to be set to Flat, A or C weights. (all industry standards)
He couldn't answer any of those questions - he just "knew" that my pipes were too loud.
I told him I would look up the regs & standards for measuring and that I would ensure future compliance.
I asked for my papers back and told him to have a nice day, and rode off, quietly.....
Didn't want him to ask about my Texas Driver's license or my PA CC permit.

So if someone "tweaks" their "Aussie approved" pipes, and the constabulary think it needs re-testing, what happens?
You get pulled over?
Then what?
Mate yah then have to take the bike in to an approved whatever and they say whatever and put it on paper
Mates who build bikes reckon that soon the bikes will be photographed when they get a roadworthy and when pulled up the Police will check the photo against the actual bike???????

When I was in the service and pulled up, it was basically a how yah going and I was off?
And mate you've served with Aussies so yah know what hows yah going means