For those whose iPhones wouldn't connect

Thread: For those whose iPhones wouldn't connect

For those whose iPhones wouldn't connect

I had tried everything to get a USB connection from iPhone to USB connector in saddlebag, only thing that would connect was an old iPod once.
    Tried countless OEM and aftermarket Lightning cords, tried a different connector to the radio, different phones and iPods, disconnected battery, everything. Wouldn't even charge.
    Didn't want to deal with the stealer because it wasn't important enough to risk them screwing something else up.
    The flash drive solution was good enough because it sounds fantastic and has track control on handlebars. Bluetooth has never sounded as good as the flash drive or had other issues.
    Recently got a fantastic BT receiver with great audio out (hot!) but wanted to try the iphone again since Apple just put out IOS11 or something.
    IT FINALLY CONNECTED!!!

So if you've had issues in the past and just gave up, it's worth trying again if you've updated your iPhone.

I am aware that many of you have had no problem connecting, there are some of us who couldn't. It may have something to do with how MFI was implemented on this system.
    I'm off to run a cable up to the handlebars!

Edit: hooked a USB extension on and it still works great.
    It gets better yet: pushing up on the TUNE/CH opens an iPod menu that lets me scroll through the playlists by tapping down on TUNE/CH, long press starts the playlist.

Can't edit so have to add here:

It also lets you scroll through Albums and Artists.
    I've been trying to keep my phone off the handlebars to avoid distraction and have the phone intact in the event of collision, think I'm just gonna run a cord to the center cubby as this allows me complete control including start/stop music by pressing the AUX key.

BT

What brand did you buy. Can you post a link to where you bought it? Also, to clarify, you plugged in the BT device into the USB cable in the trunk and now you can run your iphone through it??

Sorry, didn't make it quite clear. Most folks can plug their iPhones into the left rear trunk USB port and it connects to the system and shows up under the AUX as ipod with full track control and ability to scroll through playlists, mine would never connect despite Herculean efforts on my part. Mine is a 13 and maybe has something funky with the firmware.

I had given up trying to connect and had been messing with Bluetooth but was never too happy with the sound, I found this unit and was going to install it but tried connecting my phone via Lightning cable to trunk USB on a whim and it works now. The only difference is the newest IOS version, they must've changed something in the MFI (Made For iPod) software because I have never been able to connect before.

So now that I can connect via USB I'm just gonna run a cable up to the center cubby and connect my phone in there.
    It's important to be able to keep eyes on the road which is why I've tried so hard to get track control on the stock handlebar switches.

There are a few other people who've been unable to connect so I was trying to get the word out to try it again if they've upgraded their OS.
    BTW, the Bluetooth unit linked above sounds great if you're looking for one, unfortunately it doesn't allow for track control.

Thanks for the clarification. I just need to get me a 6ft iphone cable and run it up to my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Sorry, didn't make it quite clear. Most folks can plug their iPhones into the left rear trunk USB port and it connects to the system and shows up under the AUX as ipod with full track control and ability to scroll through playlists, mine would never connect despite Herculean efforts on my part. Mine is a 13 and maybe has something funky with the firmware.

I had given up trying to connect and had been messing with Bluetooth but was never too happy with the sound, I found this unit and was going to install it but tried connecting my phone via Lightning cable to trunk USB on a whim and it works now. The only difference is the newest IOS version, they must've changed something in the MFI (Made For iPod) software because I have never been able to connect before.

So now that I can connect via USB I'm just gonna run a cable up to the center cubby and connect my phone in there.
    It's important to be able to keep eyes on the road which is why I've tried so hard to get track control on the stock handlebar switches.

There are a few other people who've been unable to connect so I was trying to get the word out to try it again if they've upgraded their OS.
    BTW, the Bluetooth unit linked above sounds great if you're looking for one, unfortunately it doesn't allow for track control.

Doesn't work on my bike

I got me a 6ft lightening cable and it still doesn't work on my bike. I plug it in and turn on my music and all it does is show the USB design on the screen. I plug my flash drive back in and it works perfectly. Unless I'm not doing something right, it doesn't work. I have a new iphone 7 with the latest update

Quote Originally Posted by dustytrader View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I just need to get me a 6ft iphone cable and run it up to my phone.

Try tapping the AUX button on the music system panel to the left of the tank.
    Does your phone show that it’s charging?
    IIRC some folks have had luck with disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and resetting the stereo.
    Also, does it work with the OEM 3’ lightning cable?

Yeah my phone is charging. I pressed the AUX button several times but it only shows the USB 3 arrow sign thing when plugged in. When my flash drive is plugged in, it shows "USB" I believe. I tried it with the OEM lightening cable too, no difference. I might try disconnecting the battery and see what that does. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Try tapping the AUX button on the music system panel to the left of the tank.
    Does your phone show that it’s charging?
    IIRC some folks have had luck with disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and resetting the stereo.
    Also, does it work with the OEM 3’ lightning cable?

My iPhone 5S has never worked plugged directly in the USB cable in left bag (using Firewire/USB cable), charging or otherwise. Even with latest update 11.0.3

Still using BT button on left grip to control Pandora.
    2015 Honda F6B Deluxe
    2007 Honda ST1300A (176K miles)
    2003 Honda VTX1800C (80K miles)
    Waaaay to many MX bikes to list.