Just how good is your F6B? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just how good is your F6B?

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I have mentioned this before...I do not seem to be built for such extended periods of riding. Today, I rode 275 miles from my camp to Old Forge, and back on the NYS Thruway. My butt was getting sore every hour or so, to the point where I could go on but wanted to stop, stretch, to keep the ride enjoyable. I was glad to pull in the garage at 6:00pm, after starting my riding day at 11:30am.

My first 100 miles - no problem - after that, I feel the need to stop every 50 miles or so (perhaps every 80 miles on Interstate travel). All I need is a five minute break and I am good to go again.

I know guys that ride around the country, and have 500-600 mile days; I am afraid to go with them because I will either drive them nuts stopping every hour or be miserable except for the first couple of hours or so.
    The AirHawk seat pad is what you seek. I have had it for 2 years and 27,000 miles. Just visited the Black Hills - 1380 miles in 4 days - NO problems. An added bonus is that in hot weather, it not only helps prevent monkey-butt, it is also ventilated - which keeps the boys nice and cool.

Quote Originally Posted by RLatt View Post
    The AirHawk seat pad is what you seek. I have had it for 2 years and 27,000 miles. Just visited the Black Hills - 1380 miles in 4 days - NO problems. An added bonus is that in hot weather, it not only helps prevent monkey-butt, it is also ventilated - which keeps the boys nice and cool.
    Thanks. I had a VStar 1100 before the Honda. The seat, despite looking comfy, was unbearable after about 30 minutes. Stinging, numbness, etc.

I carefully considered my options and ordered an Ultimate with a backrest. Felt great at first; but, after a test ride, I sunk further and further down and I felt like I was sitting perpendicularly in a rubber playground swing. The backrest made it worse. It was so painful at times that I almost called my wife to come get me with the trailer. Not kidding. Thank goodness they have a 30 day return policy, though it cost me $80 in shipping both ways.

I returned to the OEM seat and ordered an Airhawk R seatpad. Was a lot better than the Ultimate. It raised me seating position a couple of inches, which was good for my long legs, but required going to a higher windshield. Still...on a long trip...with the Airhawk...I had to stop every 45 minutes or so. I could have gone on further, but I wanted to be comfortable, so I would stop for a few minutes and then resume.

I wonder what my problem is. I also struggle to be comfortable on my snowmobiles. I think I have an usually shaped ass or something. I am wide at the hips, horizontally thin, size 38 waist pants. I wonder if I just need a wider seat to fully support my posterior.

The Honda seat is probably the best one overall, but still doesn't quite do the job. Perhaps I should give the Airhawk another try, or look into a wider seat that supports my thighs and doesn't concentrate all my upper body weight on my wide, but thinly padded ass.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Thanks. I had a VStar 1100 before the Honda. The seat, despite looking comfy, was unbearable after about 30 minutes. Stinging, numbness, etc.

I carefully considered my options and ordered a.... concentrate all my upper body weight on my wide, but thinly padded ass.
    Stop messing with it. Just get the Russell Day Long. It is worth it! I have many years experience, tried everything. Biting the bullet as they say and doing the RDL... will let you ride as long as the rest of your body will let. Your Sitter will not dictate how long you ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperwing View Post
    Stop messing with it. Just get the Russell Day Long. It is worth it! I have many years experience, tried everything. Biting the bullet as they say and doing the RDL... will let you ride as long as the rest of your body will let. Your Sitter will not dictate how long you ride!

Just spent some time on their website. Looks promising. However, if I am going to be making a move for an ABS-equipped bike in the next couple of years, I do not want to invest in something that costs this much on my current ride. Thanks for the idea for the future, however.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

call them...

Just spent some time on their website. Looks promising. However, if I am going to be making a move for an ABS-equipped bike in the next couple of years, I do not want to invest in something that costs this much on my current ride. Thanks for the idea for the future, however.
    NO problem. There is a remote chance they can re-purpose that seat on a new bike. It would be nice to ride in comfort. Call em !

Best bike I've ever owned!

Purchased my 2016 F6B Deluxe in Feb of 2017. Pretty cold for a ride home here in Minnesota. Will have about 8000 miles on mine when I put it away....unless the snow holds off then maybe some more. I LOVE this bike. I've added a few extras like a Tall windscreen, LED fog lights, Mustang seat, Kuryakyn Mini boards for the driver, Kyryakyn Transformer floorboards for my passenger, Adjustable mount for the back rest, 12v powerpoint, GlPro shift indicator, Kuryakyn glove box drink holder, and of course a Kuryakyn cell phone holder. I have plans for some custom projects during the snowy months. Tail light & signal modifications for more rear visibility for one. Next season: MORE MILES!

I returned to the OEM seat and ordered an Airhawk R seatpad. Was a lot better than the Ultimate. It raised me seating position a couple of inches, which was good for my long legs, but required going to a higher windshield. Still...on a long trip...with the Airhawk...I had to stop every 45 minutes or so. I could have gone on further, but I wanted to be comfortable, so I would stop for a few minutes and then resumeQUOTE]

If your Airhawk raised you a couple of inches you had too much air in it. You need very little air in it.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Other than my 1999 Valkyrie Tourer, I have not kept a bike as long as my current 2013 F6B purchased in late 2013..Got it set up with all I need and have no plans to look at another bike for now, or maybe never...Runs great, no issues, fast, smooth, comfortable, etc.,etc. and I only have 13,800 miles on it as I don't ride as much as I would like to due to my wife's health issues....Perhaps the day will come when I might look at the market, maybe the 2018 F6B..but as I will be 78 years old soon my riding days are numbered....so I probably will never see 90,000 miles on this bike, but glad to know how reliable they can be....Regards and ride safe
    Opa, whatever you're doing keep doing it! We should be so lucky to reach 78 and still ride on 2 wheels! To you sir!
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperwing View Post
    I know the feeling. Rode to a BMW rally some 1500 miles from home. Took 3 days to get there.
    ....... a day later, soon time to go home. There was a bloke there that pissed me off. Rather than going to jail, I packed my shit and started riding. The year was 1994, and I was on a 1994 BMW R1100RS. Rode and rode and road. Kept saying a little more. Stopped every 2.5 to 3 hrs for a small bite, and gas. 1,382 miles and 22.40 hours later I was home.
    Just one? At a BMW rally?
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

It's so good that I rode today in the cold. It was a warm 9 Celsius or 50 ish in your slang. Best investment so far has been heated grips, heated seat and the sheep skin. Here are a couple of today's pics;