Mirror Wind Deflector
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror Wind Deflector

Mirror Wind Deflector

After reading several posts on wind deflectors I picked up a National Cycle deflector today from J&P. A little expensive for two pieces of plastic and some hardware, 69.99. Install should be about 15 minutes, but I tend to skip over some instructions. After re-reading the directions and dicking around, plus getting sidetracked, it took about 1/2 an hour.

I haven't had a chance to go on the highway, but even around the neighborhood at no more than 40 MPH I can tell they do the job. I still guess I'm gonna have to bust out a couple hundred for a better windshield, but I really like the look of the stock one...just another dilemma for an old guy to solve.

All-in-all a good product that seems to do what it is supposed to do.

Hmmmm why didn't you go with the Baker Shields?
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

So is the purpose of these to prevent wind from hitting your hands? I'm new to full fairing bikes so these deflectors are new too me too. Personally, I think they look goofy, but if they work for you then that's all that matters. First thing I replaced was the stock shorty windshield. Looked great, but kind of defeats the purpose of having that nice full fairing to shield you from the wind.

I bought the Baker hand shields in dark tint. If these were available or I knew about them I would probably have bought these instead due to ratcheting mechanism. However, Baker ones work fine, too. I mostly leave them in closed position, but in heat they do stay in open position and direct wind onto me. They are very effective and simply expand the calm air pocket further.

As far as the looks, here is the picture of my F6B while riding the Deals Gap in NC with Baker air wings in closed position. I think they complement the looks and in my opinion the bike should have come with them stock:

Attachment 6389

And here is me at Daytona Bikeweek with air wings in the open position:

image.jpg

I am not a fan of Baker wings that mount to the side of fairing, which is what a lot of Goldwings have, but these I think look great and function even better. Quality so far seems to be good, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by hoglaw View Post
    After reading several posts on wind deflectors I picked up a National Cycle deflector today from J&P. A little expensive for two pieces of plastic and some hardware, 69.99. Install should be about 15 minutes, but I tend to skip over some instructions. After re-reading the directions and dicking around, plus getting sidetracked, it took about 1/2 an hour.

I haven't had a chance to go on the highway, but even around the neighborhood at no more than 40 MPH I can tell they do the job. I still guess I'm gonna have to bust out a couple hundred for a better windshield, but I really like the look of the stock one...just another dilemma for an old guy to solve.

All-in-all a good product that seems to do what it is supposed to do.
    I have those on mine also, work great. I have had both Baker's and National Cycle. You will really like them on the highway.
    Look us up next time, we have them for about $10 cheaper.
    Rick

We've covered this before, but the mirror wings don't just deflect air off the riders hands and arms. They also reduce wind noise and buffeting for the rider and passenger. I can hear my radio better with them installed. Function over fashion for me in this case.

I made my own deflectors. They work fine and being black, they blend in with the fairing.
    Attachment 6395Attachment 6396Attachment 6397

Got Bakers. Really help keep the cold air off your hands during those brutal FLA winters.. .

Opening them diverts some air onto rider during hotter weather.
    13 F6B Deluxe I've taken the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?
    I don't buy a bike to impress other people, just me !!

Quote Originally Posted by rumble-b View Post
    I made my own deflectors. They work fine and being black, they blend in with the fairing.
    Attachment 6395Attachment 6396Attachment 6397
    Very nice! How are they attached to the mirror. Need a pic from the cockpit side.

By the way! Really like your avatar. I'm working on a design for some badges for my Killer Bee and that is damn near if not exactly the artwork I'm playing with. Isn't that the dodge bee logo?? I gunna have to look that one up! Thanks RumbleB
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Quote Originally Posted by SmallPasture View Post
    Very nice! How are they attached to the mirror. Need a pic from the cockpit side.

By the way! Really like your avatar. I'm working on a design for some badges for my Killer Bee and that is damn near if not exactly the artwork I'm playing with. Isn't that the dodge bee logo?? I gunna have to look that one up! Thanks RumbleB
    Thanks SmallPasture. I made the brackets out of right angle aluminium and they mount to the existing holes under the mirrors. Just removed the oem bolts and screw the longer ones in.They have Nyloc nuts and rubber washers so that i can tighten them up but still pivot them. You're right about the Killer Bee, it is the Dodge Logo. We don't have that in Australia but when i was doing research on the F6B before buying it. i read a review that said " at full throttle the F6B sounds like a 265 Hemi motor" So i thought naming my bike Rumble-B was quite appropriate and found some logos on ebay to put on the bike

Attachment 6411Attachment 6412Attachment 6413Attachment 6414