F6B Down !!!! - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: F6B Down !!!!

I'm so glad you're not badly hurt. The problem is that guys like the one who caused your wreck are allowed on the roads.
    You said he had prior drunken driving convictions. That's often the case. These guys are allowed to keep driving until they hurt someone badly or kill them. Only then do the courts take it seriously. Here's hoping they take him off the roads for good.

Let me get in line and wish you a quick recovery. Prayers go out to you and the good folks in the Fusion. Drunk and distracted drivers are scary when we are less protected than the cagers. No level of defensive driving skills will do much for you when you're just sitting there minding your own business.

I also want to wish you a speedy recovery and happy to know you'll be ok and back at it in no time. Looking forward to seeing your new 6.

Maybe this is a good time to interject something I learned from local motorcycle cops. When coming to a stop behind cars, they leave quite a bit of distance between them and the car ahead. By quite a bit, I mean a full car length or 2. Then, as cars are approaching them from behind, they keep a lookout in their rear view mirrors. With this kind of extra spacing, they have several options if it appears someone is not going to stop in time. They can go left or right or, for that matter, even make a u-turn if they receive an emergency call while they are stopped. I don't always remember to practice this but I'm convinced it's a really good idea.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Don't worry, that will buff right out.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

I'm glad to read that it looks like you'll be fine. I know what it's like. I was rear ended on the freeway during rush hour 13 years ago. My bike was stuck upright in the car's grill and they needed to use a winch to get my bike out.

I know it wouldn't have helped in your situation, but I think a taillight modulator might have saved me.

Good luck with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Maybe this is a good time to interject something I learned from local motorcycle cops. When coming to a stop behind cars, they leave quite a bit of distance between them and the car ahead. By quite a bit, I mean a full car length or 2. Then, as cars are approaching them from behind, they keep a lookout in their rear view mirrors. With this kind of extra spacing, they have several options if it appears someone is not going to stop in time. They can go left or right or, for that matter, even make a u-turn if they receive an emergency call while they are stopped. I don't always remember to practice this but I'm convinced it's a really good idea.
    Thanks for bringing that up. A good rule of thumb is leave enough room so that you can see the rear tires of the car in front of you touching the pavement.

I'm glad the OP walked away from that. I'm damn sure the car behind was quite surprised when they hit 1000 stationary pounds of F6B and rider too.

Once again, thanks for all the well wishes... I am sore, but I survived and I will ride again...

Update: The insurance adjuster will go look at the bike on Thursday...

Jlyon you're a lucky man! Years ago I lived in Long Beach Calif and one night I was hanging out on 2nd street talking to a fellow motorcyclist who had a modified side car rig. The hack was modified so he could attach his wheelchair and the bike was equipped with hand controls so he could ride without use of his legs. A few years earlier he was aboard a "normal" motorcycle and was hit from behind breaking his back severing his spinal cord. That often happens when motorcycles get rear ended. He rallied back I must say. His name - Jim Knaub. He was, and continued to be, an accomplished athlete and went on to become one of the first primere wheelchair racers winning winning five Boston Marathons. Amazing.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Knaub

Sorry for sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery a little late, put it down to the time difference as I am ahead of the US (time wise)
    Cheers mate, get well soon !